GPS Question

• BomberA

I have been thinking about getting a color combo unit for my console. I currently have a LMS480 and I was sondering if any of the Lowrance color units use the same connectors so I wouldn’t have to run all new wires?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe the Lowrance 332 uses the same connectors. The best thing to do is PM Wade @ Jolly Ann Marine or wait for his response here.

BomberA

That’s what I was thinking , hopefully Wade can confirm.

Then what is the process to put my 480 on the bow and have them run off the same antenna and map chip?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

It is not too difficult to have them run off the same antenna. I just completed that information. One thing I’m not sure on is if you can run only one map chip??? I will have to turn mine on this weekend when I’m over at the storage and see. I was thinking you still needed two chips for two units, but I could be wrong.

Also thanks for the reminder. I was suppose to get over there ealrier this week and fax Ben Garver a sheet on how to do this. If you need one, let me know.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I have been thinking about getting a color combo unit for my console. I currently have a LMS480 and I was sondering if any of the Lowrance color units use the same connectors so I wouldn’t have to run all new wires?

If you find the 332C, it is all the same.

The new unit is the LMS-520C. The transducer is the same. The Power is the same. The GPS module is different. You could get the 520C with GPS and run the two units independently. Or, you could get the 520C without GPS and put it on the console. Then use the 480 as the “master/sending” unit and the 520C as the “slave/receiving” unit. Hardwire the two together and you’re set. Rob has done this and would be a good source if you run into trouble. Other here have as well. I have the directions in a post here that I can did up.

For getting a head/display-only unit, we are about 2-3 weeks out right now, at Jolly Ann. I do suggest getting one ordered soon so you can get in line, if that’s the way you choose to go. I do have the 520C full package available now.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I’ll check with the Steering Comittee and maybe this is something I can scan in and post for everyone.

That’s it. I’m out of here. I will run and get that sheet right now. I will be back later and answer your Chip question and hopefully can scan it in and have it up on Monday..

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Remember guys when networking an older model (or model that takes the LGC 2000 antenna) you must up grade your software to the latest version so its compatable with the LGC 3000 antenna!!

For instance if you currently have a 332 laying around from your old boat you just traded-in, and your new boat has a X-27 on it, you will need to update your 332 from Lowrance’s website or HERE to ensure that your network operates correctly!!

Just a heads up!!! Hopefully this will cause less confusion when trying to get the network running properly…I think a lot of people are going to have problems with this!!! Simply cause of the new LGC 3000 or antenna!!

Its also a good idea to check now before open water season to see what version your graph/gps is using! Its under the system information, after hitting menu button once!!!

This is what Lowrance has told me when I talked to them yesterday!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

BomberA, 2 units you need 2 chips or just switch the one chip to the bow once you get to your spot.

BomberA

Quote:

BomberA, 2 units you need 2 chips or just switch the one chip to the bow once you get to your spot.

Or I just wait til you are ready to sell yours again

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

NMEA 0183 hardwire directions…

You will use the NMEA 0183 system to connect the units. The NMEA system works to communicate from one unit to another. You’ll basically connect the blue wire on unit 1 (the sending unit) to the orange wire on unit 2 (the receiving unit). Also, you need to connect the bare shield wires.

On the sending unit #1, you will need to tell it to communicate:

Press MENU, MENU, and select SYSTEM SETUP and hit ENT
    Select COMMUNICATIONS PORT – hit ENT
    In the Communications port 2 dialog box set the baud rate to 9600 (default) and check (X) the box to activate NMEA OUTPUT

On the receiving unit #2:

Press MENU, MENU, and select SYSTEM SETUP – hit ENT
    Select COMMUNICATIONS PORT – hit ENT
    In the Communications port 1 dialog box set the baud rate to 9600 and check (X) the box to activate NMEA INPUT.

If you have any trouble give Lowrance a call and they’ll run you through it.

For anyone running the newer LGC-2000 or LGC-3000 units, you can do this also. The new units have a NMEA 0183 port as well as the new NMEA 2000 ability.

brunn
    Andover, MN

BomberA – I use this exact setup, a 332c on the dash and a 480 on the bow. You can share GPS data as described using the NMEA 0183 or buy the data cable. I’ve tried both methods, and personally, prefer just hooking up the cable. That way, your bow unit isn’t a slave to the dash and you’ll be able to operate each independently, and get GPS data from the same source.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.