My view on my Tahoe…………………………

• 2catch1

Well I have been a GM tech now since 1998. In July of 2003 I bought a used 1995 Chevy Tahoe. I choose the ’95 because it had TBI fuel injection and is very reliable compared to the 96-99 tahoes with Vortecs. They are also easy to work on in comparison. Anyhow here is my story and why my next truck will most likely be a Toyota. Again. I bought this truck with 76k on it. It drove nice and I loved the room, but in no time it started to burn a little oil. Normal for a 350 to burn a little. Well at 100k we were up to 6qts in 3k miles. The valves seals were ok, it needed an engine. Cylinder 5 was down. So $2500 dollars later I had a new Goodwrench motor with some additional stuff that ya do when the motors out. Then the converter went because it burned so much oil it wrecked the cat. So here I am at about 120k. I change all my fluids at least once a year…all of them. I just put all new brake and fuel lines on and put in a new fuel pump, which went bad in 2 weeks so it got another (typical pos mexico Gm part) So after $600 plus in parts(my cost on parts is 10% over gm cost at the dealer and lucky for me my labor is free!!!)she has all new fuel and brake lines….something that worried me a lot! Rusty lines, new boat, big hill….STOP! Anyhow so now this last week while backing up to my snowmobile trailer I lost reverse. Well lucky me! God I am so sick of working on this thing!!! So I pulled the trans and had it rebuilt 2x’s stronger than GM did. Like they should have from the start. $950 later. While I was under the truck I noticed once again leaky oil cooler lines!!!! This was the 3rd set now it needs its 4th!!! Well its CarQuest for these, GM can stick it!!! They won’t warranty it, has over 12k on them!!! Anyhow how many others out there have this luck with there vehicles??? I see a lot of bad cars and trucks at work, but I also see a lot of descent ones. I’ve had a few Toyota trucks in the past with close to 200k and never had any engine or trans issues. I would love a Sequioa but can’t afford it!! God a nice used one is 20k! So now that my ’95 tahoe is almost completly rebuilt I’ll keep’r awhile. Next the rear differential….then what???????????? With my luck my wife will then smash it up!! God I hope not, retail is only about $4k on this thing!!!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Dont no what to tell ya some times you get a good one and some times not. I have a 96 gmc 1500 with the 5.7 vortec with 250,000 on it just changed plugs for the first time this fall. fuel pump couple years ago alternator a few years back and an intake manifold. Not to bad for some thing that old and that many miles. Proball less than 2,000 into it . Just the way it goes some times.

Rusty lines???? do you park in the grass or on dirt drivway alot. Seems if I park one of the plow trucks on grass or dirt for the summer I’ll have that problem????

2catch1

Common rust spot on c/k trucks from those years is behind the fuel tank along the frame. If ya loose brakes its all over!!! I’m kinda anal and figured if I’m goin do it, do it right! So I did every line, gas and brake. We have 1 customer at work that has over 300k on his ’95….original motor, trans, and differentials!!! he pulled a 20′ race car trailer for years in summer!! And it’s a 1/2 ton!!! Just my luck. And by the way Plow truck= rust, really keep the underside clean!!! I periodically lube all the lines on the underside also.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Wow all the work you have done to this truck blows me away I have a 95 Chevy Z71 Silverado Extended Cab with the 5.7 350 same engine you have I believe. I have 120k on mine and it has been a very good truck for me. For the most part all I have done to it is regular maintenance. The only some what major thing I had to have done was shortly after I bought it in 2000 was to have work done on the rear diff other than that it has been a great truck for me and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

shaley
    Milford IA

Dad has a 97 GMC 1/2 ton pushing 200K 5.7 Vortec I wouldnt hesitate to take that truck around the world. Plus it pulls 17-20 MPG empty or loaded, and yes its 4×4. Hes had a fuel pump put in and as far as we know first plug change ever just a few weeks ago.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I dont know what to say besides you must have got a bad apple. I bought a 1989 Suburban off the site here with a 350, has over 215 thousand miles on her and she does not leak or burn oil..”Knock on wood” This Suburban is a 1989 and gets better gas mileage then my 02 Dodge Ram 1500..Dodge gets 11.9 and Suburban gets 15..
    Best used vehicle I have ever bought hands down. I have driven it on alot of round trips racking up 400 miles in one day and still will feel comfortable taking her down to Kansas next week..
    All I can say is Thanks Matt…

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have a 02 GMC Sierra 5.3

Bought it new and have 75k on it. Water pump went last fall, other than that, Just brakes and tires..

Knock on wood..

dkremer99
    Central City, IA

sounds like you may have got the unlucky one, my 94 hasn’t had near the problems. I did do away with the oil cooler lines just plugged them at the filter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sooooo… they only make GM and Toyota huh ????

big g

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with your Tahoe. I drove a 93 GMC Z71 (5.7 liter) for 6 yrs until it had 160K. I only had routine maintenance on this but had some issues with the 4WD switches shorting out – pretty minor. Traded this on 99 Yukon (5.7 liter). Drove that for 7 years and 156K. Had to spend 600.00 to fix my AC and another 600 to rebuild by rear differential. Just traded this in on a 2006 Yukon XL (5.3 liter). I’m hoping I have the same luck with my new truck as I had with my previous. Would another brand of truck have treated me this well??? Maybe.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Quote:

I bought this truck with 76k on it.

This is the first thing that came to mind. I would imagine a lot of your problems happened in the first 76K. I am sure you looked the vehicle over carefully but how a person drives their vehicle the first half of it’s life tells a lot about the problems you will have in the second half.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Since you bought it used with 76k on it, do you know how it was taken care of before? You as being a mechanic should know that if it was not taken care of, reguardless of brand, you can have problems. I see it all the time with lack of maintenance.

How about the class action suit against Toyota right now because of sludge build up in the engines. I have seem two with the valve covers off and you could scoop sludge out with a spoon. One had 37k on it!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Your a GM tech publicly running your product into the ground?? I think you should take care of one from brand new before judging the product. Sounds like you’re just venting your bad luck. We all have bad luck sometimes.
    All my GM trucks have been virtually perfect.

2catch1

Just trying to get others opinions. The best GM full size trucks were made from 2000-2002. In 03 they changed a lot of electronics and the four wheel drive system especially. You guys with 03 and newer that actually use the 4×4 know what I mean. This truck was in like new shape when I bought it. I do not know the exact history, but it never had a 7-wire so it never pulled a big load. 350’s well either you got a good one or….well my luck. I try to back GM but they have done nothing for me. Common 15k on oil cooler lines and they won’t warranty them. I asked for a little help with the engine….like just give me the long block for your real cost!! Like 1200. I actually ended up buying it through another dealer that buys and sells in bulk for 300 less than my dealer could order one for! What the !!!! Anyhow I won’t buy anything but a Chevy or Toyota. The newer Fords and Dodges seem nice, but I know nothing about them and a good friend has been a Toy tech for 20 years and my previous Toys were good, but my old 4runner didn’t pull well.(3.0 v6) That’s why I got the Tahoe. Ya it’s not bad luck when you are replacing the same parts over and over again. Its bad quality. Who the …. can afford a new one!!!!! Especially a tahoe or Sub!!!

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

My 95 Tahoe has 159K on it. I bought it new off the lot and have never had a problem since. I’ve tow’d boats with it ever since I bought it too. This past summer, I replaced the fuel pump (the 1st – before it went), put in new u-joints, new oil cooling lines,the gasket to the oil filter housing and installed a new water-pump. Except for the fuel pump, all the stuff was the second set change-out since I bought it. I think that is pretty good myself. The motor has never burned oil and my tranny is fine. I’m concerned about my radiator though. I’ve been told that they (plastic) tend to go in about as many miles/years as I have??. I’ve never done fuel or brake lines either. I always do all other regular maintenance stuff at the recommended mileage and generally baby the thing otherwise. It still looks brand new!
    Ya-know though,…. I paid it off in 3 years and have almost been driving it for free since. A new one is over $36K now though too! So for me, when considering the alternatives, if I have to dump in another $300.00 to $2000.00 to keep it in good shape it won’t anger me a bit.
    Some vehicles are just bad though, no matter who makes them. I had a Dodge Aspen when I was a kid and that thing cost me $300.00 “a month” for 2-years straight in repairs alone. Finally the engine blew and it hit the scrap yard (thank God!). Since then, I’ll NEVER own a chrystler product. One was enough.

2catch1

I think mine was put together during deer hunting or something!!! We have a customer at work with a 95 c/k with 350,000 miles. Original motor, trans, and differentials!!! He pulled a 20ft race trailer for years. That’s unbelievable to me. Crawl under the back end of the lr tire feel the brake line were it goes up and around the top rear of the gas tank. If its all crusty….its time. Mine was bad but may have lasted another 6months to a year, but ya don’t know till they break. If you have ever lost brakes before its not a lot of fun. Especially towing or out-of-town. I didn’t want to risk it anymore. Good luck. You got a good one!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sorry about your issues and your right new Tahoe’s are priced way out there. I got mine used. Back to a truck now and love it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.