best snowmobile gloves?

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I am going to go to Houghton MI in a couple of weeks to do some sledding. I am renting a machine up there. I need to buy a decent pair of gloves and am unsure of what is best. I dont’t want to drop a c-note on a pair. What would be best for around 50 bucks?

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

I have a pair of these Cabelas that work real well out on the atv or sled!

web page

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

SteveO…you should be able to stay warm and almost any cheap “snomobile” glove as the hand and thumb warmers keep your hands warm and toasty. Enjoy…Jay

MN Musky
    Ham Lake/Mille Lacs, Mn

Those cabelas gloves are great! I use them quite a bit and never had any issues. However, my favorites are are my leather choppers with a wool liner inside.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

your right rvrrat. those sleds do have hand and thmb warmers now. can you tell I haven’t been on a sled for over ten years?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

bobber.
    I was looking at those earlier. look pretty warm and they don’t break the bank. I just put in an order. thanks

birddog
    Mn.

I agree with rvrat 100%.

BIRDDOG

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I agree that you don’t need much as far as warmth. I have a fairly thin pair, yet it all depends on how you ride also. However, I would suggest getting GOR-TEX. Wet hands are no fun when you are buzzing down a trail in cold weather.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

The gloves that I wear are the mechanics brand glove. With the hand warmers and thumb warmers you will have no issues. If it is going to be below 0 air temp then I wear the Cabelas Gore Tex Gloves. I have even worn insulated choir gloves, they work well also. If you have the thinner pair I bring 3 extra pair in the pocket in case they get wet. Don’t go to heavy because then your hands sweet all say and look like prunes when you take them out? Have fun and be safe, you will have a great time in the UP, I get up their about 3 times per year.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

bobber,
    I got those gloves yesterday and all I can say is “wow”
    I had them out this morning while exercising my dog. I was out for quite awhile in sub zero weather. those gloves are the bomb. well worth the dollars. leather outer for the palm and finger area and gore-tex to boot. hate to sound like a commercial but they are great

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Under $50 is fine. Hot fingers or some warm brand. You dont need them too thick as the hand warmers on sleds work best if they are not. Nylon or leather to block wind. I recommend not getting water proof. No gore tex. By nature you are not in a wet environment and waterproof gloves will get wet inside from sweating. They stay wet inside all day and are difficult to dry out at night. breathable fabric is best.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

breathable fabric is best.

Is Gor-Tex not breathable???

Suzuki, that is the exact reeason why I use Gor-Tex gloves. They are lightweight, waterproof and breatheable. I think they are KLIM gloves??? Around $75.00 and worth every penny!

Mine have minimal insulation as for I like/need to have “Good Feel” with my throttle, break, etc. Which enables me to make split second adjustments, decisions and have the confidence my fingers will not be “Mike Cayford” Sausage Fingers.

Even in -25 bleow Canadian Weather I use my thin gloves. I do carry back up pair(s) for getting unstuck, screwing around, etc., but live with my GOR-TEX gloves with no issues! I tried other non waterproof “snow mobile gloves and this is where my hands got cold, wet, etc. You are right, your hands do sweat, especially when your hard trail riding or ditch pounding. That is the reason you have to have GORTEX gloves IMO.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

gore-tex website claims: totally waterproof, totally weatther proof and highly breathable.
    I’ll let you know how they work out. I’ve got a Ski Doo MZX 500 SS rented for the weekend. Should be able to test wind chill factor at 70mph.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.