Ignitiion noise

• walldog
    Rochester

I have an extreeeeeemely annoying ignition problem.
    When I turn the key on my 16 ft lunker, 40hp Mariner. I get the high pitched warning wail. Then as I run this
    boat the sound returns intermittently but very frequently. This wail is very high pitched and would drive anyone insane.
    What’s happening here?

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

could be warning buzzer for your oil if oil injected motor

shaley
    Milford IA

Check the oil, my guess its low.

walldog
    Rochester

This is an oil injected 1995 40 hp Mariner. The oil level indicater window shows about 1/3 full, is that low enough to set off the alarm.
    Do the warning horns ever go bad? There has to be a small horn in that ignition/throttle assembly.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

It could be the sensor in the oil tank reservoir I believe it’s cheaper to replace the entire oil Tank reservoir then it is to fix the sensor…….some have had luck cleaning the sensor Mechanism….

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I think some motors had a warning for the water pump too. Something to check into…

walldog
    Rochester

Tonight I filled the oil resevoir to the top then took the boat out for a spin. At about 10 mn of run time the buzzer started alarming again, it’s a constant buzz. the water pump seemed to be putting out a steady stream of water, however the water coming out was too hot to touch. don’t know how hot or if it matters. Otherwise I went right back to the dock and really did not see any performance changes other than that buzzer.

Thanks for the input so far.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Tonight I filled the oil resevoir to the top then took the boat out for a spin. At about 10 mn of run time the buzzer started alarming again, it’s a constant buzz. the water pump seemed to be putting out a steady stream of water, however the water coming out was too hot to touch. don’t know how hot or if it matters. Otherwise I went right back to the dock and really did not see any performance changes other than that buzzer.

Thanks for the input so far.

Sounds like you are ready for a new impeller. Your engine is overheating. I wouldn’t run it agin until you get it fixed.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I had a mid 80’s Evinrude that would make that annoying high pitched squeel. It happened when the motor got too warm. I feel for you, that noise would drive you to drinking Anyway, I would also suggest a new impellar and make sure all your exhaust ports are free of duckweed seeds or anything else that could be plugging them up

herb
    6ft under

If you can get to it, pull the thermostat and put heat to it to see if it’s opening up when it reaches high temp. If it checks ok then you need a new impeller.
    Always check the simple stuff first. Sometimes a piece if sand will block the stat from opening all the way.

walldog
    Rochester

Well I took this boat into the shop.
    $105. for a module
    $51. labor
    do the math
    Looks like I’m ready to go!
    No more Buzzzzzzzzer

herb
    6ft under

Good to see you found the problem.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Well I took this boat into the shop.
    $105. for a module
    $51. labor
    do the math
    Looks like I’m ready to go!
    No more Buzzzzzzzzer

Good news. Now I will be looking for a fishing report. lol.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.