Line counters, Do you need them?

• bigcrappie
    Blaine

I am looking at buying a trolling setup. I use spinning reels now but want to get my first casting type reel and a rod for it. Now I just cast behind the boat and then count to 10 and close the bail and that seems to work great, but all the talk about 120ft,150ft ect. Do I get a Abu Garcia C3 or go for a line counter Daiwa Accudepth. What is out there that is good? The rod I am looking at is a 7’med/heavy because my rod locker is a 7′.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Depends a lot on what you are doing, We’ve found that one the river you need to keep tapping bottom everyonce in awhile or you won’t do so well, I’d say it’s pretty easy to tell when you tapping bottom, so I don’t think you really need one there, but say you were open water trolling, 20 feet down in 70 of water, this is where they shine, time and time again you can repeat the same depth and quickly. Yeah you could probably get close if you had a gps for boat speed, and were maintaing the same method you used before, but it’s really nice and easy to just put it back out 125 feet again or whatever.

Need? no, not really should have? absolutely in my book. I run a diawa it does fine, I’ve yet to buy on for my C4 though it will end up being a bit more money, it think it will be much nice than the diawa.

shaley
    Milford IA

I belive in them, I run Okuma Magdna Pros ( around $40 each) so far with no problems. One is on a collapsing 8′ Lightning rod others on a 9′ 2 piece Abu rod. I also have 2 clip ons that do ok but not as reliable as the linecounter reel.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Line counters are very nice for repeatability when the fish are maintaining a narrow depth range, or are finicky and don’t want the erratic action caused by banging bottom from time to time, but are not an absolute necessity. I use both Abu Garcia 5500 and a couple brands of line counter reels for trolling. I prefer the line counters, but still use both.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would say yes. If you plan on doing alot of trolling it is the way to go. Cant see where the cost would be a issue. Linecounter reels run about the same as a bait caster without a line counter. You just cant cast to weel with a line counter. To me it would be like buying a car with out head lights. You could get by but why.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

My two cents would be to go with a line counter as they aren’t too expensive and it helps you zero in on the details of catching fish.

I’d also suggest going with a longer two-piece rod with a lighter action compared to a 7 foot MH. I run Power Pro line on my trolling rigs so I like lighter action glass rods in the 8 to 8.5 lengths.

fishinfool
    mn

Your just starting with line counters , unless you can really afford a Diawa Sealine I would go with Okuma Magda. I have had mine for 3 years now and knowing how much line you have out when you get a fish can improve your chances of repeating. FISHINFOOL.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

I would go with a line counter reel a well. I just picked up a okuma magda pro at fleet fram for 29.95. and a deacent tellascoping 8 foot rood for 34.99. there was also a cheeper combo for 49.99.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

IMHO it’s a good idea. Fishing is about percentages, when you can be consistent in the amount of line you let out, it just adds a percentage point or two in your favor. I have the Diawa Sealine SG17 coupled with a 7’6″ telescoping Bass Pro Crankin Stick, and am very happy with it. The Crankin Stick is a good inexpensive rod for the non-stretch line, get the medium action. It collapses to 6’6″ for storage.

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Yes. This year on Mille Lacs for opener we were trolling cranks. All three of us were experminting with different lengths out until we found the magic number. I caught three walleyes in a matter of three minutes and the second and third ones hit when I was still letting line out to get to the magic number. When I set the hook on both of them I was within 5 feet of the depth I wanted. I know I could not have repeated that without a counter.
    I have a buddy that always says, it doesn’t cost much more to go first class!!! If you can swing it go find a Diawa 27 Sealine and you will be happy. If you buy a nice one, you could use them for salmon fishing on Superior or Michigan. LOTW people do a lot of trolling in July and August, and Mille Lacs in the fall is great. Spend a little more now, and be done with it.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

The Abu Garcia 5500 and 6500 series reels are very well built reels and will last you a long time. But if your looking for line counters, I would not recommend them. I still own four of them and they are great as long as I don’t use the line counter. I finally got so fed up with the line counter addition on these reels that I just took it off and now run them in situations where I don’t need to know exact distance behind the boat. (bottom bouncing, 3-ways…) If you do buy them, you can plan on going through at least 3 battery’s every year for each reel.
    I also own and run the Daiwa Sealine SG-27 and run lead core on the SG-47. These are truly great reels and I highly recommend them if they fit into your budget.
    The Accu-Depth appears to be a nock off of these great reels. My buddy bought one and it has work pretty well in all aspects except one. The drag appears to loosen itself easily and often. This can be a real pain in the butt when fighting a good fish and could very well cost you some nice fish.
    Those are my personal experience’s with 3 different line counters that I have experience with.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

JWB

Todd_NE

YES – if you want to troll a lot, INVEST in linecounters. Repeatability is the key to trolling.

I haven’t used the Okuma’s so I can’t comment. The earlier generations friends bought didn’t last but they’re a good company with a large following.

Personally, I’ve seen a lot of friends NOT get the Daiwa Sealines and regret it. I’m talking a lot of people and reels here.

Trolling gear lasts forever if cared for, it’s hard to wear out, especially if you service a reel every so often. Get good quality reels and some Walleye Angeler Parson’s/Kavajecj rods from Bass Pro. They work for mono, fireline and lead. Not many rods pull off all three well. The trolling rods Jim Carroll and Johnnie Candle developed for Scheels are nice, and for “cheap” rods the Shimano’s are very good (TDR), handle’s are kinda fat though.

IF you need to save $$, I’d look at the Gold Cup reel Bass Pro offers. This is only because I do take Gary P and Keith K at their word, and they’ve personally told me and many others they have now gotten two seasons on their reels without problems now. The reel has the sealine frame. Knowing that I haven’t bought any cuz I don’t need any, but these guys are straight shooters on equipment – period. The next two I buy will be Gold Cups.

Take into account I’m a Bass Pro/Tracker angler, but saying that, I bought probably some of the first PK Trolling rods sold and they are still working for me! I’d hate to guess how many rods I’ve sold for them to people who have fished with me.

Todd

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

I do alot of trolling and have used many differnt setups, and my favorites are the daiwa’s or maybe the cabela’s depth masters. I use both of these linecounters for trolling leadcore, mono, and fireline. I would have to say the daiwa’s are the most accurate and you get the best for your buck! But just the other day I brought a 10 year old cabela’s depth master back to cabelas because well it was wore out and I got a new one for nothing even exchange!! Thats hard to beat!!

I would definately suggest going with the the line counter for trolling it makes it so much easier and faster to get your lure back in the zone after a fish!

Good Luck

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.