115 Yamaha 4 stroke

• Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

Can anyone tell me good or bad things about a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.Break in tips or routine maintenance? How slow will it troll?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

If you had said 2-stroke, we’d have to do lunch. good luck with the motor, have heard many good things about the 4-stroke model. Jack.

flick
    Alma WI

I have a 115 yahama 4 stroke!! I cant say a bad thing about them…all i have to say is good stuff!….doesnt use hardly any gas at all..can be on the river all day with a half tank!….dont even know its running its so quiet!….was vertical jiggin in the front of the boat an i couldnt even hear it running!!..if you have anyother questions feel free to PM me..

big-northern
    Plymouth MN

I have had one a year now and I’ve had zero problems, always starts perfectly. One day I’ll switch the aluminum factory prop out with a ss prop, oh wait a minute, i fish the river, maybe I better stick with the cheap prop!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have had my 115 for 2 seasons and can tell you it is a sweet piece of equipment! This thing starts just awesome, one spin and it fires off, no smoke, no growl, just idles up to a fast idle per the computer and as it warms up the idle speed lowers to about 650. I have the Yamaha SS prop on mine, 13×17 pitch, and run it on a Lund 1700 Fisherman with T8 kicker, etc etc. It pulls about 5700 rpm with 2 guys, half a tank of fuel and 1 livewell full. Three guys, full fuel and 1 well full drops the rpm about 5600 fully trimmed. It uses no oil, is super quiet, and other than being just a tad large for its HP size, I love the engine. I have gotten as high as 8 mpg with it in summer conditions. Last Fall while fishing at Rainy River, last week of October, it encountered brutal conditions, never above freezing with lows in the mid teens in the morning. There was absolutely no faultering, hard starting or anything else…it just starts and runs the same, no matter what temperature. I was told many stories of the 4 strokers having less torque than the 2 strokes, and the 2’s putting these things to shame. Well…I had a 115 Ficht before this one and I will never go back….this thing pulls like a freight train out of the hole, and mid range punch is excellent.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I forgot to mention…..you may have read my report a few weeks back, recommended break in on these is “DO NOT BABY IT” and “DO NOT ” follow the book’s procedures. Warm it up, put a load into the boat, and hammer it!!! Run it hard, stop frequently to let it cool a bit, and give it some more. Ring/cylinder wall glazing is a common, and fairly serious problem on these high performance 4 strokes so the factory teams are now recommending this break in procedure to get the rings seated so no glazing can occur.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Frank,
    Sorry I did not get a chance to meet you last night at the seminar, if you make it to the next meeting be sure to say Hi! I was wondering how slow will the 115 troll down with your boat?

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Steve, when is your next meeting?

Kerry Harvey
    Brownsdale, MN.

LundGeye, Monday April 7th. 7:00pm

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Elks?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

At the Elks. See you there. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.