GPS antenna location for fishawk owners?

• freitag
    Osseo, WI

Just purchased a 3500c. Looking for location to place puck. It’s slightly larger in diameter then the gunwale. Does the puck need to be completely level? Also, how should one wire in the GPS…directly to the battery or can one tie it into the closer hot wire? Thanks.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Tagger,
    I’d say it does not have to be completely level, that would not really interfere with it’s reception. you’d also want it to be mounted close to the depth finder transducer, that way you will have your depthfinder in inagreement to your gps mapping as close as posible. don’t think the wiring would matter as long as the other wire is always hot, but that way, if your boat has it, the unit would not able to go thru a master switch.
    good luck.
    Jack…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Keep in mind that the 3500C antenna has a small electrical draw so you want to install a switch or run it through your electronics panel. Lowrance suggest a direct connect to battery but I have mine going through my buss and it has been fine. Be sure to READ THE MANUAL and follow the instructions on the install, especially the part about BOTH sets of power wires being connected, and shield wire to ground.

Locate the antenna anywhere it will get good satellite reception.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Wade, I must’ve read it too quick. Are you saying that both power wires are to be connected? I don’t have the 0183 network buss, which is where I thought the red, black, and shield wire was to be connected. I currently have only the red, black, and white wires connected directly to a nearby hot wire (12v plug-in).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.