Extended Warranty on new Johnson 40 HP 4 stroke?

• djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

This is kind of a follow up to my earlier question about a 2 stroke or 4 stroke 40 HP outboard..

What is your opinion on purchasing an extended warranty on a new outboard (Johnson 40HP 4 stroke with EFI)? The cost is $850 for an additional 3 years. $25 deductible applies in years 4 – 6. I’ve never purchased them on new vehicles but don’t know what to think with an outboard. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Dave

etecangler1

Do you have to have a new motor right now? If you can wait and you’re open to an E-TEC, they will most likely offer a free 4 year extended warranty. I believe it is a 100% coverage.

birddog
    Mn.

Do you HAVE to PUSH e-tec? I’m sure they’re a great motor but, I believe he asked about Johnson extended warranty.

DJL,
    I think you’ll find a split vote on this question. Some don’t buy into them and think they’re a waste of money. Others buy them just incase or buy them because they’ve been stuck with a hefty bill after the factory warranty was up. You have to ask yourself, how’s my luck?

We bought an extended on our F150, figured we spent a pile of cash already, what’s a little more, if something goes it’ll likely cost big to replace. Also, we had bad luck with our last motor and wanted no worries for 7 years.

Also take into account how long you’ll run the motor? Do you upgrade every few years or will you run it for 10+ years. My train of thought was to upgrade in 8-10 years so why not have coverage for the majority of it.

Those Johnson 4’s seem to be treating there owners well, pretty much trouble free, again, how’s your luck? Some people have the worst!
    Good luck with whatever route you choose.

BIRDDOG

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.