40 HP Outboard – 2 or 4 stroke?

• djlengyel
    Lake Elmo, MN

I’m contemplating buying a new boat and would appreciate some advice and/or recommendations. I’m wanting a 16′ tiller with a 40 HP motor (the Crestliner Angler 1600 or FishHawk 1650 are near the top of my list). I like the idea of the smooth running, quiet 4 stroke, but I believe it comes at about a $1000+ premium as compared to the 2 stroke, plus I believe it is heavier. Is it worth the extra money in an outboard this size? I’ve had a 2 stroke Mercury (20HP) for the past 22 years and it has performed wonderfully. I can only imagine the latest 2 strokes are even better. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

jbb
    Minneapolis area

I’ve got a ’98 two stroke and I love it. It’s on a 16′ rebel

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

I would also say go with the E-Tec I have a 90hp and love it give Smitty’s Marine a call and ask for Kenny or Ron they will shoot ya a great price,
    651 345-3990

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I have a Crestliner 1600 angler two years old with 50hp Yamaha fourstoke. I love it I would never go back to the original 2 strokes, but I would check out an ETEC. Have heard nothing but good things.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

ONE THING THAT IS NOT MENTIONED HERE IS THAT A FOUR STROKE WILL GIVE YOU GREAT MILEAGE WHICH THESE DAYS IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

etecangler1

Quote:

ONE THING THAT IS NOT MENTIONED HERE IS THAT A FOUR STROKE WILL GIVE YOU GREAT MILEAGE WHICH THESE DAYS IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

Sure a 4-stroke will give you good mileage, but an E-TEC will do all those things a 4-stroke will do without losing any performance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.