Optimax vs EFI

• sports_anchor
    Albert Lea, MN

What are your thoughts on Mercury’s Optimax and EFI outboards. I’m looking at 150 HP for my boat. Is there a major difference in performance, reliability and economy between the two at that horsepower? Also how about the XR6? I heard it’s not near as good as the other two.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The Merc Opti is an extremely fuel efficient motor, which has all the bennies of the EFI motor, but sucks much less gas! Both motors are “Injected” but the methods of doing so differ. If you were to buy an Opti, I would opt for a newer version. They keep getting better all the time! You will however pay more for the Opti over the EFI.
    Tuck

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Ive been in a boat with a 225 Opti Max,

Runs Excellent and sounds Tougher than !#^*@

Like that is a big selling factor

ec

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

My new Ranger has a 225 Opti and I have heard of alot of problems with the 2000 and 2001 models. I got an extended warranty on this one to help with a little extra security. I have heard the 2002’s are free of the problems though. What the actual problems were? Some say it was fuel injector issues while others claim to be a result from improper break-in’s. ?????
    I have yet to get an answer from the right source.

Anyway, this is what I have heard and read.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The Opti’s are definitely going to have the best efficiency of the 3 you mentioned. That being said, the Optis have been prone to problems also. Just like Deezee I’ve heard of many causes to the problem. If it were my money, I’d buy a yammy, sorry had to throw that in. Honestly, if it were my money, I’d purchase enough warranty to cover you as long as you plan to own the boat. Keep your eyes open for updates as they come out and make sure to get them done. This way merc has no excuses for voiding a warranty.

I haven’t looked at Merc website, but I’m sure you can get performance bulletins to judge the fuel economy vs price difference. If you fish a lot, then the opti will save you enough gas money in the long run to justify the price difference. If you trade every year, consider the resale value of the Opti vs EFI.

I’ve looked at a lot of used boats lately, in the back of my mind every time I find one with an Opti on it, I think has this motor been good or problematic? One thing I try and keep in mind though, how many black motors do you see hanging off the back of boats?? A lot, so ya, some people are going to have problems and those are the only ones you’ll here about.

Good luck!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Jason

Take into consideration your driving tendencies on this too. While it is true the optis offer much better fuel efficiency at “cruising” speeds, if you never allow the RPM’s to pause in that 4000 RPM range on you way to “hammer down,” you’ll experience very little added fuel economy vs the EFI and will in effect have spent money for technology that will not benefit you.

The reason I bring this up is troll-ability and fuel economy at cruising speeds may not be your top concern given that you spend most/much of your time fishing bass tourneys or preparing for one. If you find most of your time spent running wide open from one spot to the next, go for the EFI and enjoy what is a very proven and reliable powerplant for much less $$ than the opti will set you back.

BASSTRACKER1
    Iowa

I AGREE WITH H20 ON THIS! ANOTHER THING IS OIL, OPTIMIAX OIL IS MUCH MORE THAN THE MERCURY OIL BY ABOUT HALF! WHAT YOU SAVE IN GAS WILL GO IN OIL!
    I WOULD GO WITH THE EFI!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I used VERY little oil Vs. gas with my Opti. I would not even view that as a concern in chosing a motor. Opti’s with the Smart package are great for my kind of fishing. If you go that route (I guess you are a bass guy, so it may not matter) but for any of you walleye and musky guys, I get a kick out of trolling 2.5 mph with a V-6, and never missing a beat when I go to full throttle. You can control the speed via RPM or MPH digitally on the tach or speedo. The Optis do require more of a warm up…right Scott P.??? What is it, 3 motors this year on the PWT? LOL!
    Tuck

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

My 200 EFI has always started as easily as the car in my garage. Turn the key and you go! It has used very little oil as compared to gas and is ready to go to the next spot, right now, if you are a bass fisherman.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.