Marine Radio Issue

• crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Hi All.
    I experienced a weird problem with my MB radio on opener. I was at Mille Lacs, and after reading that most guys were going to be on channel 82, I decided to tune in. After hours of absolute silence, I called for a radio check. Nothing. So I went to 16 and asked again. This time I got a crystal clear response. On Sunday I fished near John “Buckshot” Blanchard in Vineland Bay. Again, I heard nothing on 82. When we got close enough to yell at each other, I called Buckshot on 82. He heard me no problem and answered me, but I heard nothing back. We both went to channel 69 and we could talk back and forth with no problem, and again, it was crystal clear.
    Any ideas why I can transmit but not receive on 82??

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I started to look at Marine radios a little bit here and I’m guessing this might be your problem, but I do not know much about them. I read on a few boxes, that this certain radio, could transmit on x amount of channels and receive on y amount of channels (not the same amount). Of course when I asked the salesman, what this meant, he did not know. But I’m guesing this might be your issue.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks Rob.
    That would be really weird. Why would they let you transmit but not receive on any channel?
    Mine isn’t a fancy, high buck unit. It’s a shakespeare and from what I can tell, has all the goodies. I have an 8 ft antenna too.
    Anyone else care to chime in??

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Is it hard lined, or a hand held?
    Wade from Jolly Ann may have more info for you. I had to do a little adjusting to my antenna on my hard wired rig. At first, I had to be really close to someone to hear. Now, if the radio is on in my garage, and I key the mike, K102 disappears! It must be putting out the full 5 watts now! I can hear the barges talk now, and pick up 5 weather channels.
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I see it is hard wired. Did you do it yourself? Also, is there a reducer in your connector? This needs to have a good soldered connection. That was my problem. I also could not heat most people at first.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

It’s hard wired and everything was soldered by a professional.
    I don’t have any problems with channels under 76 (although I must admit, I’ve never tried any over 76 until recently either), and I get all the weather channels no sweat. On channel 69 I’ve talked to guys more than 10 miles away. It seems like a goofy problem. I only tried 82 because all
    the IDA guys were going to use it on opener.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here is the Lowrance unit I was looking @. Lowrance Marine Radio LV850 . Look under the feautures. It says it has 54 Transmit channels and 84 receive channels?????????

Like I said, I’m far from a Marine Radio expert, but my guess, this is your problem.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

At the risk of sounding like a chicken-she-it, radio checks should never been done on 16. The FCC/USCG would prefer recreational boaters to hail on 9 (to keep 16 open for emergencies and commercial vessel hailing) then switch to a working channel like 68 to do the check.

One USCG group (New England) has begun allowing radio checks between the boater and the USCG on 16. This is a last ditch effort to keep idiots from using a MAYDAY as a radio check.

Sorry I cant help you with the fix, but I also have heard of guys having problems when trying to use channels higher then 78. I think the government uses 80-81-82, perhaps thats the problem. I have never tried it. I use 68-69-71. Besides, it always sounds better to tell someone to “switch to 69”

Dave

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Rob,
    That’s the exact OPPOSITE of my problem. I can transmit, but can’t receive. Oh well. Like I said, In 8 years I’ve never used a channel higher than 71 and it has always worked. I guess I’ll stay with what works.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.