New Lowrance Installation Checklist

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

There has been a bit of confusion with the new Lowrance units. Here’s a checklist for any of the new units that take the LGC-2000 antenna.

A Checklist for new units with LGC-2000:

1. BOTH power cables need to be connected, 2 black, 2 red.
    2. The shield wire also needs to be connected to ground.
    3. The NMEA wires (multicolored set) need to be taped off properly if not being used.
    4. Lowrance suggest a direct connection to the battery. Check the manual for instructions.
    5. There is a small electrical draw from the GPS antenna even when the unit is off so you will need to rig it accoringly (some type of on/off switch to keep from draining the battery).

If the unit is still not working properly, give the Lowrance techs a call for assistance at 800-324-1356.

If you do all the proper steps above and still get a GPS not responding signal, there is the possibility that the GPS antenna is bad. If you have a buddy that has the LGC-2000 antenna, try that on your unit to determine if the antenna is the problem. If it is, you can simply exchange the GPS antenna and won’t have to re-rig everything else.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

By the way, this only applies to the newer units that take the LGC-2000 antenna (such as the LMS-332C, LCX-25C, Globalmap 3500c, etc.) If your unit takes the LGC-12W this does not apply to you.

I’ll keep this at top for while…

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Dumb question but does this apply to the 110?

Thanks Moe

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Moe, I don’t know the answer but I’m sure Wade will respond. What I do know is that you never have to worry about a question being dumb here. Thats how we ALL learn and thanks for the question.
    Thanks, Bill

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

Wade,

What components do I need in order to network two LMS units together to share a single GPS antenna? I have looked at the documentation and they all refer to connecting to a NMEA 2000 network. The documentation doesn’t describe how to connect two unit together directly, so I am assuming I need to get some additional cables/components.

I have an LMS 480 and an LMS 332c that I hope can share a single antenna.

Thanks

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Moe, This would also apply to the LCX-110C.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Wade,

What components do I need in order to network two LMS units together to share a single GPS antenna? I have looked at the documentation and they all refer to connecting to a NMEA 2000 network. The documentation doesn’t describe how to connect two unit together directly, so I am assuming I need to get some additional cables/components.

I have an LMS 480 and an LMS 332c that I hope can share a single antenna.

Thanks

From my understanding you will need the LEI adapter cables. Here’s a link to a PDF file that goes into some detail about the new NMEA 2000: Lowrance NMEA 2000 .

I don’t have those cables but you can call Lowrance or go through http://www.lei-extras.com for those parts. They can explain that in better detail also.

bluejay

Well, I am trying to do the same thing. Running 2 units (X-20 and LMS-332) off of one antenna. You need a NMEA 2000 expansion cable, which I have but there are problems. I have both units powered and both network lines powered. There are times when I can get both units to receive a signal and times when I can get no signal at all. I have talked to several people at Lowrance and I get several answers. This tech is so new, it is not understood very well. Last night I had my main unit receiving a signal and when I turned on my second unit I get the famous “GPS module not responding”. From there on I couldnt get either one to work. Something must be wrong and I need help. Very Very frustrating.

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

BlueJay,

First, welcome to the site.

Wade, thanks for the reply. I wish Lowrance would put a search capability on their site(s).

In reading the NMEA 2000 Network Expansion Cable document, I found this on top of page 3:

Quote:

Either of these configurations will work. As long as one of the units (and only one of them) has the NMEA 2000 Power cable connected to a power source, the LGC-2000 will operate, and both units will receive position information from it along the network.

It looks like you should only have power on one of the NMEA 2000 cables.

bluejay

Thanks for the welcome

Yes, I have read that too and that is exactly what I said to the Lowrance rep and he said it was wrong, go figure. I think my next step is to call Lowrance and ask them to send me a new antenna and expansion cable. This just should not be happening considering how much I’ve spent on the units.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Sorry guys. Wish I could help more but this new technology is new to me too. I’m afraid we’ll have to turn to the Lowrance techs for this one. If anyone gets this figured out please let us know. Thanks!

fishingscout
    Saint Paul

Wade,

Thanks for the help. I bought the expansion cable today. I am going to wire the new LMS 332c you sold me to my existing LMS 480 next week, after I receive the cable. I will wire it according to the documentation and I will report on how it performs.

I hope the temp gauge I have is NMEA 2000 compatible so that phase II of my wiring will include hanging a temp guage off the NMEA network also.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good luck and looking forward to your report. Thanks!

kirk moe
    Algona,Iowa

Thanks Wade

The 110 is on the boat and read for Clear Lake this weekend.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

You betcha Moe. The Yellows should be going crazy on Clear right now. Good luck!

shon
    Waconia ,mn

I have spoken with lowrance this morning and was told to try new version 1.2 on my 332c connect yellow wire from 332 to orange receive on my 15mt make sure the sheild wires are connected with a baud rate of 4800.I’ll try it tonight unless someone could try it today.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

I am trying to get my new Lowrance 332C to talk to my ICOM402 VHF. The VHF has DSC (For a mayday, press and hold one button and a repeating digital distress call is sent out from the VHF with your ID number and GPS location).

I was able to get my old Eagle Ultramap to communicate with my ICOM but not my new 332C.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks,
    Dave

traumatized
    eastern iowa

I just got a 3500c. I haven’t hooked it up yet, you guys have me worried though. So if I put that one on the console and hook up the antenna there what unit could I buy if I wanted a gps readout on the bow? Without having to buy another entire 3500c.

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Like most of yu I just got my 3500c and cannot use it. I called Lowrance and they gave me the same answers that everyone is. Thing is I actually had it working for about 1/2 hour in my driveway after I installed it the first time…Now I can’t get it to work.. Can we send the Reciever in to Lowrance and nothing else? Or do we have to send the whole thing in?? I think Lowrance should give everyone that bought this problem packed equipment a rebate or a few bucks back…HELP!! I wouldn’t bought this if I knew everyone was having problems…I don’t have this kind of money to waste…

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I am sorry you feel this way.

I have never had a problem with my 3500c. I know a few other people that had problems with the wiring but I know no one that once the wiring was fixed disliked the unit. I wish you were closer to me as I would like to help you. I would make sure all wires are hooked up right then try to find another GPS puck to see if yours is bad.

Sorry about your troubles,
    Ron

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Thanks..I know I’ve got the wires right..and I like the unit just seems whatever I buy I can never just take it out of the package without fixing or replacing something first…Guess if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all…I will get this to work.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I hope you do get it working. I love my 3500c, so will you after you get the bugs worked out.

Ron

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Like most of yu I just got my 3500c and cannot use it. I called Lowrance and they gave me the same answers that everyone is. Thing is I actually had it working for about 1/2 hour in my driveway after I installed it the first time…Now I can’t get it to work.. Can we send the Reciever in to Lowrance and nothing else? Or do we have to send the whole thing in?? I think Lowrance should give everyone that bought this problem packed equipment a rebate or a few bucks back…HELP!! I wouldn’t bought this if I knew everyone was having problems…I don’t have this kind of money to waste…

Everyone is not having problems. We listed the info here because people are having installation problems, mainly due to failure to connect both power cables and/or failure to ground the shield wire. I want to be clear on that. That said, there will be occasional problems with the GPS module/antenna. If anyone gets a bad GPS module/antenna Lowrance should immediately replace it (the module, not the entire unit, so the customer does not have to remove the working parts that have already been installed). If you speak to Lowrance, tell them you want them to send you a new module. Be firm. I agree with you that you should not have to remove the installed parts if swaping the antenna will solve the problem.

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Wade..I will call Lowrance again Tuesday and see what they can do.I pick out the 3500 because I liked the display and its colorized…Like I said before..with anything I get its never easy…just like my wife…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Like I said before..with anything I get its never easy…just like my wife…

Oh man! I hope she doesn’t read this!! Then you’ll get the ax!

Once you get the 3500C working properly you’re gonna love it! I hope it goes well for you.

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Hey love her to death….and will get that baby going somehow..Thanks..

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Wade…found out that i did have a bad LMS-2000 module and replaced it…Up and running…Finallly…and yes it works great…like suppose to…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Awesome! And I assume you only had to exchange the module, not the whole unit?

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

yep..plugged in the new one and everything else was fine…thanks…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.