To charge, or not to charge?

• gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I have heard it said that you should run your battery down to say one half or three quarters before recharging because there are only so many charges in any given battery. I have alway’s just charged my batteries at the end of the fishen day. Any suggestions?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Leaving your battery sit partially discharged will shorten its lifespan…. or you might be referring to your battery developing a “memory.” This taken from an article by Bob Koeshall…

“Lead acid deep cycle batteries do not have the so called “memory effect” that first generation Ni-Cad batteries have.”

If you want to check out the rest of that article, it’s here on FTR in the library. Here’s the link: All you’d ever want to know about battery care and maintenance!

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Thanks H2O; I read the FTR article before posting my question. I ran two six volt batteries for six years with no problems. I always charged them after every trip. My friends talk with such certainty, it may be hard to convince them. Is there any more to it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.