Shorelander Trailer

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I ‘ve got a Shorelander Trailer under my 1675 Explorer SS and the springs squeek something terrible !! Is there anything i can do to get rid of this ?

Thanks in Advance,

ec

flick
    Alma WI

i got the same promblem ec on my alumacraft Tournament Pro..Whenever it hits a bump it squeaks….Theres gotta be someway to get rid of it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey guys

I would imagine a little water-proof grease on the leaf springs as well as on the bushings that attach the springs to the trailer might solve the problem. Just in case though I e-mailed shorelandr support and asked them to have a tech person hop on line to address the question. Hopefully we’ll hear back from with a definitive answer ASAP.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

You da Man ~H20~ !!

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Are you sure it’s the springs? I have a 1831 Shorelander under my Lund with the Swing Tongue and
    the squeaks I get (I believe) are flexing through the tongue assembly onto the frame. If you guys
    solve yours with lube on the springs, I’ll try that too.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I get mine just driving down a fairly smooth road. When the back window , or even the side windows are open ……its is driving me nuts

ec

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have the same thing on my Ranger trailer. Damn thing squeaks so loud it is embarrassing.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had an EZLoader 3 boat trailers ago and it was even worse than my Shorelander. Are the frames just too weak
    and flex under the load so all the bolted joints squeak? Maybe once they are assembled to fit the boat a
    person should weld all the joints and then repaint??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So much for the shorelander tech help dude! Maybe they’ll drop in tomorrow…

Quality
    Northwest Iowa

First, thanks to James Holst for the heads-up on this discussion.

Second, to the problem at hand…

The first of a couple potential causes is that the technician at the dealership or distributorship could have overtightened the spring-bracket bolt, thereby pinching the bushing and/or spring in place during final assembly. The spring is suppose to move freely so it can flex as designed. If it’s not flexing, then the trailer is not giving your boat the support it deserves.

If you suspect this is the problem, we recommend that you take the trailer back to the dealer for an evaluation and corrective measure.

If you have a tandem axle trailer, the second potential cause of this noise could be the improper positioning of the springs. We have heard of springs being placed in backwards in the spring-brackets, causings a squeak and/or rattle.

If you suspect this is a problem, we suggest that you request a parts manual by going to http://www.shorelandr.com. Please provide your trailer’s 17-character VIN so we can make sure to get you the right model year/model number of your trailer. Once received, this manual will show you correct spring placement. If needed, take your trailer to a ShoreLand’r dealer for corrective measures.

We trust our dealer and distributor network to conduct final assembly in a way that is consistent with the quality of our trailer. Sometimes mistakes happen and we also trust our dealerships to take care of these issues.

Thanks for the invitation to take part in this discussion and feel free to contact us through our website, http://www.shorelandr.com, if you ever need a question answered or want to offer a comment.

Sincerely,

Doug Clough
    Customer Service Coordinator
    Midwest Industries, Inc.
    Home of ShoreLand’r Boat Trailers

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Great job Doug. Thanks for the insight!
    Tuck

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thanks Doug for the info . I’ll be bringing this up at the dealership..

ec

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I took the trailer in ….It still squeels ……

ec

Quality
    Northwest Iowa

Give one of our field representatives a call at 1.800.859.3028. We’ll be glad to work on this with you.

Doug at ShoreLand’r

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Quality, is this for any shorelander trailer issues. Mine seem to wear the tires uneven. I checked and my bearings seem to be good, and I also thought maybe the axle was not straight so I took it to an alignment shop and thay said it was straight.I have new tires and new rims to put on it but I’m a little worried that it may be something else.Any ideas ? Steve

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

Mine got to squeakin about 4 years ago and couldnt stand it anymore and sprayed some oil on the leaf springs (out on the tips) of either end (front and back of each spring) and that pritty much killed the problem.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

What kind of oil ?

ec

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

I been packen WD40 around but I imagine you can use what ever you have available.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just got off the phone with Doug from Shore Land’r Quality Dept. He and I had a very informitive conversation. He will be working on my “Squeeking of the Springs” with the bodys at the Qlty Shop.

We also had some conversation about some other topics about my trailer . I sent him a picture(due to my lac of correct description verbage) and he was all over it !!!!

Thanks Doug very much for all your help. When you guys come up with a cure for the Squeeky Springs I’m sure I’ll be the first to know

It’s service like this that will keep me trailering Shore Land’r

ec

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

I think Dave should get a Shorel’r patch for his fishing jacket because of the fantastic plug he just gave Shorel’r

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

The service they have given me is more than enough. Doug is most definitely what a company would want in a Quality/PR person. Very precise and to the point, no beating aroung the bush here…..

So no patch …I’ll take great service every day of the week…

Thanks tho

ec

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

It’s nice to know that some companies care. A lot of business will just blow you off and tell you they will get back to you but never do. Must mean there always right and we’re not important. Go Figure!!! Hey! That might be a good thing to share. Companies that don’t give a damn. Could save some people a Bad Time and hard earned money!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

There’s just not many companies that would offer tech help on-line on a third-party website. All I did was shoot them a link and an invite and Shorelandr has come through in spades in my opinion!

I’m sick to high-heaven’s of my Carnai trailer. I’m SOOOO sick of it I’m contemplating literally junking that trailer and going with a new single axle shorelandr. I’ve had problems with this Carnai from day one. Hydraulic brakes don’t work. I’ve never seen a trailer load so poorly. The brake system leaks. Then the shoes drag on the drums. Exposed wiring. Bad paint. Trailer lights NEVER worked completely from the first day. I can’t get factory parts…. I can’t get factory tech support.

The website to this company with their horrible product is: http://www.carnai.com

And their slogan? “The ultimate in Quality.”

Yikes. And yes I do feel a little better after my little rant session. Been putting up with that thing for 2 seasons now. I had an opportunity from Carnai on a program through this company to try one of their dual axle trailers. They basically gave me the trailer to try. I’d had Shorelandr trailers prior and I really wish now I hadn’t gone the route I did. So many hassles and head aches that I don’t need. The latest one is that the trailer CHEWS up even the best trailer tires and last week I threw a tread on the passenger side- rear tire and it “blew up” the fender on that side as the tread whipped around inside the fender at 55 mph, ripping the mounting pads for the fender right off the welds and squashing the rear of the fender like a pop can. (Thanks again for stopping to lend a hand Nate!)

As you can tell, that thing really peeves me off.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

WOA!!!!!

James…..I think your face is a lil red in this pic compared to others

ec

Quality
    Northwest Iowa

To all sufferers of squeaky springs…

I’ve spoken to our head engineer, R & D department and other customer service/sales folks here… this is what I’ve found out:

1. Springs on all brands of trailers have had a history of minor to major irritation levels on the squeak factor. Generally, unless a binding point is found, this is not a performance issue.
    2. Binding should be looked for at the point where the spring bracket is tightened with a hex bolt. This bolt should never be tightened to the point of freezing the spring or bushing in place. This will cause problems… some problems that wear over time and some that occur more quickly. In short, have any binding problems associated with springs corrected as quickly as possible.
    3. A binding problem might be caused by the placement of the axles so they are not entirely perpindicular to the frame. To make sure your axles are placed correctly, measure from the rear of the u-bolt that affixes the spring bracket to the frame to the end of the side frame itself. This must be the same measurement on both sides. If it isn’t, have your ShoreLand’r dealer make the appropriate adjustment. This can cause tire wear troubles as well as the cockeyed, squeaky springs.
    4. Finally, as noted in earlier postings, the squeak coming from a spring can be alleviated (not cured) by lubricating the free-end of the slipper spring. Our head engineer suggests using a silicone spray, since other lubricants will attract dust and grit causing other troubles. Use some sort of shield to keep from spraying the silicone on other parts of the trailer.

I hope this helps or at least increases an understanding of this situation.

Doug Clough
    Customer Service Coordinator
    Midwest Industries, Inc.
    Home of ShoreLand’r Boat Trailers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.