Reel for lead core?

• panfish
    Blairsburg IA

What is a good reel for using lead core line on. I have a couple of old baitcasters that might work just wanted some ideas. I see some Abu Garcia’s sometimes at flea markets and have thought about picking some up. Is the clicker a must or do you not really need it. Thanks alot Todd.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Alot of people have gone to the linecounter reels lately even though the leadline is color coded. A clicker is a nice feature as it lets you know when line is being taken out either by a fish or snag but not a must. Okuma makes a nice linecounter reel at a very reasonable price. If you click on the Hooked On Fishing afvertisement and contact Mike Smith he can give you some prices and info on them and he does ship. You can also click on his link that you will find in my signature below my name in this post.
    Thanks, Bill

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a Daiwa Great Lakes 47LC Sealine W/Built-in line counter. I really like this reel for lead lineing.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Todd,the most important thing to look at is how many colors of lead are you going to put on your reel?If your going to put 10 colors of lead on your going to need a BIG reel.If your only going to go with 4-5 colors then you can get by with smaller reels.
    You won’t go wrong with Abu baitcasters.They sell re-conditioned Abu’s at FFO for very low prices.
    I would make sure I had a clicker feature on all your crankbait rods.It is a must have in my book.
    Ryan Hale

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Maybe I’m cracked, but what’s FFO?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

John,The headquaters for Purefishing is in Spirit Lake,IA. Across the street fron this is their outlet store and it is called Fishermana Factory Outlet(FFO).
    Ryan Hale
    Your not cracked,but Panfish is!!!

fireline
    Rochester

Ryan , What pound lead core do you use on the river ? Thanks

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Fireline,I’m a natural lake guy.Infact I’ve only fished the Miss. once in my life.I run the 17# test on lakes and have never had a problem.
    Maybe Dave Koonce,Jeff Patrick,or one of the other fine river anlgers could help you on their choice for river leadcore.
    Ryan Hale

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I run 18# test on pool 4

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I never run lead core before..I’m a handliner !!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One that holds a lot of line.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a couple of these Shimano TR 200.

Shimano Triton

Silky smooth drag, clicker and they hold 10 colors of 18 lb leadcore. Can’t beat the price on a reel that will last you the rest of your life.

-J.

Don Hanson

Like Jon and Steve, I also run 18lb on rivers.

gillman
    red ming mn

I troll the backwaters alot so i run 27lbs with a 310 gti penn holds 8 colors. on the lake I use the 320 gti with 10 colors.along with a three foot leader on all my leadline rods.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Thanks for all the suggestions people. I bought a Sealine SG27LC off of Ebay that ought to do the trick.

Ryan I’m not on crack anymore gave it up 10yrs ago

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The 27’s are nice reels, but wont hold much lead.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I use the 27s for long linging with spider wire, the 47s are a bigger reel and will work better for lead than the 27s.

Don Hanson

Steve, I have not tried spiderwire for trolling applications. What is your opinion of it?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Don,
    I really like Spiderwire for trolling it works great for me. With that being said I have had this line for a few years now and I am not sure you can get the same kind anymore. I got a great deal on a 2500 yard reel of Spiderwire Fusion a few years ago at the Walleye Expo, if I remember right Spiderwire has changed since I bought it last. James got me started using Spiderwire for long lining cranks, but like I said that was a few years ago, maybe James is using something different now.

etbn164

I have 2 new reels myself and was wondering how much backer line to use on a Daiwa AD57LC. Some have said that you can run more backer if you use PowerPro line because the 30 pound line is the same diameter as 8 pound mono. My lead core is 27 pound. Also, is there anywhere on the net that I can learn to tie lead core to mono? What about PowerPro to lead? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Ed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.