PD i pilot poblems….again!

• usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Last year the autopilot would not “engage” with the motherboard. Happened twice! And each time cost me approximately two weeks without a trolling motor. Tried fishing tonight and same problem, plug it in and no “connecting beeps”. Which means no response from the controller. This thing is turning into a real POS! Is anybody else having these issues with their power drive?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think you’re talking about the “CO Pilot”? The wireless controller?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Do you still have your foot pedal? Don’t let that pesky think make you loose fishing time.

I shouldn’t even ask, but are your batteries good?

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

BK, this spring I bought a AGM 30 from batteries plus, unplugged the onboard tonight prior to hitting the water. The battery indicator says full charge, and unfortunately the PD I pilot system does not have a foot controller.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was referring to the batteries in the Ipilot.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thats good too. The system should give a series of beeps when you power up the trolling motor. That’s not happening…..which is what it was doing last year both times. First time the I pilot system was replaced(worked for a week), second time the mother board was replaced and it worked all last season and the 4 times out this spring until today.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Make sure the batteries are good on the co-pilot remote
    Then make sure you have the co-pilot in sink with your power drive
    The beeps you are hearing are probably coming from the power drive so you have to sink it with your remote for them to talk to each other.
    Make sense?

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Bull, the beeps are something I have learned to listen for, the only time I have had any issues is when I plug it in and get no response(beeps) from the unit. The boat bats are good, controller bat is good.
    I have come to the conclusion the trolling motor itself is a POS!

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

So to recap on this issue.

I bought my I pilot 80 pound, universal sonar 60 Inch trolling moter for over $1200 to upgrade a working similar model.

The first time it stopped working for me last year over a weeks time of trying different things I replaced the boat battery, controller battery, and the three prong connection plugs prior to taking it to Fishelectronics for some repair work. They had it on their bench and come to the conclusion it was the Ipilot unit itself that was shot. New ipilot unit installed and back on the water.

One week later same issue, plug in the unit and nothing.

Back to Fishelectronics where they again put it on their bench and replaced the mother board. Two weeks later get the phone call to come pick it up. Since I was “up north” it took me until the following Monday to get to the store to pick it up.

All this took about 4.5 weeks of messing around and not being able to fish with a trolling motor which is one of my primary tools out on the water. To say the least I was very frustrated in dealing with this (not to mention the comments from the wife about spending that much money and it not working)

So, I will be calling Minkota today, and if not satisfied with the responce taking this thing back to Cabelas and seeing what they can do for me on replacing it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

So, I will be calling Minkota today,

Good call. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

So, I will be calling Minkota today,

This is where I would have started…. they are great to work with, and having them have record of the issue would be helpful.

On the older co-pilot systems, you could turn the beeping confirmation off… even by accident. My I-pilot (terrova) does not beep…. never has.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

I had issues with mine….there is a fuse in the head of the unit that went out on mine. maybe check that?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.