Mercury 4 Strokes – China?

• Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

Been trying to make up my mind between a Merc or Yamaha in the 40 to 50hp range and found my answer today.

The nameplate of the Merc 40hp four stroke I was looking at said Made In China at the bottom. When did this start and what is the horse power range made in China? I have just never thought of China and quality in the same sentence…

gordonk
    mpls

Heck, they even make parts of our fighter jets and cruise missiles in China. The only rockets we get come from Russia. USA! USA! Well, maybe not.

Most of the stuff “made in the USA” are only assembled here. The parts come from the third world.

In 1980, 25% of the federal budget came from import and export taxes. Now, it’s less than 2%. Sigh.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I may be wrong but I think theh only assembly the verados and opti’s here in the states.

I heard once that their earlier fourstokes were made by yamaha (like suzuki made johnson fourstrokes), though I have no idea if its actually true.

John Peterson
    Woodbury, Minnesota

Quote:

I may be wrong but I think theh only assembly the verados and opti’s here in the states.

I heard once that their earlier fourstokes were made by yamaha (like suzuki made johnson fourstrokes), though I have no idea if its actually true.

My ’98 9.9 Merc 4 stroke kicker has a Yamaha powerhead. Many parts that I have purchsed in the past few years were actually Yamaha parts. The Merc part was discontinued…

blackbay

Mercury and Yamaha had a long history of sharing parts. Merc used Yamaha powerheads and Yamaha used Merc lower units. Now the small Merc 4 strokes are Tohatsu. The 40 through 60 hp have been built in China since 2005. I haven’t heard of issues, but I haven’t researched it either. The Verado and Optimax outboards are built in the US.

castle-rock-clown

I bought a Coleman 9.9 four stroke for real cheep, brand new in the box. I’m using it as a kicker and it wasn’t propped right. Long story short, it’s a large powehead 9.9 Yamaha from prop to spark plug. It’s made by Parsun in China. It runs great and I decided to add a trollmaster pro2 for electronic throttle contrtrol. They don’t have a unit for the coleman but after investigating, the unit for the Yamaha is a perfect fit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.