Truck Camper tie down advice

• norge

Hey Guys
    I could use some advice. A first time truck camper owner. Have and almost 13 foot Real Lite camper 1995 model with a side entry to put on my ’99 F350 Dually. There is 55-56 inches of camper behind the rear of the truck. I need some front frame mount tie downs. Advice on brands, links, local places to buy or if you know someone to fabricate that is a better option. I want to have the portion outside the box removeable when the camper is off. No shin banging.
    I also need a hitch extension. With 55-56 inches from the existing receiver what are my best and safest options?I s it acceptable to mount a 2 inch receiver at the rear of the camper and use an X long hitch to slide through the rearmost receiver on the camper and then fasten to the existing hitch on the truck? I have seen torque lift truss receivers online that may work without anything on the camper, but that is a fairly pricy option.
    Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lloyd

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

My dad has a 2012 lance truck camper that hangs over the rear bumper about 4ft and he had to have a class 5 2.5″ receiver mounted on the truck. I think he actually had camping world in Rodgers install the hitch and tie downs. I’d start by contacting them.

eddy6053

my 97 dodge dually has a 2″ receiver hitch, on the side of said hitch it’s made of square tubing which will take a 2″ square tubing fitted inside of it. I notched it and angled it toward the back, welded a piece on that with a hole drilled in it for the tiedown. You can pm me if you want more detailed instructions…can also send some pic’s of entire setup if you like. 11.5 ft camper, extenion hitch.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

We bought a truck camper this spring. I was shocked at how expensive the hold downs are.

Stake pocket hold downs aren’t recommended on newer trucks because the steel thickness on the truck box is thinner than older trucks.

You have 2 options for hold downs. Happy Jack and Torklift.

With Happyjack you’d have to drill holes. Something I didn’t want to do.

Torklift is your best option. They are pricy but they are the strongest.

A few websites:

http://tweetys.com/

http://www.truckcamperforums.com/

http://www.thehitchstore.com/hitch-accessories-adapters-extensions-c-29_54.html

castle-rock-clown

TorqueLift, X infinity. Not just the brackets, but also their torsion hold downs. Yes expensive, but why chance it with that big of an investment. Also, you will also probably be pulling a boat is my guess. Look at their hitch extensions.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

On my last three trucks what I have done is taken a 2X2X1/4 steel square tubing for the belly bar. Made two half inch steel plates the bar slides thru and bolted the plates to the frame. Pins thru the square tubing keep it from sliding out. 30 seconds I can have the belly bar on or off and nothing hanging outside the truck. For the rear tie downs I fabricated same 2X2X1/4 tubing to fit into the open ends of my hitch they slip in and are pinned easy on or off.

pauleye78
    New Hope/ Onamia

If you have not done anything send me a pm.
    I have 25 years in the rv industry.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.