Minnkota wire gauge?

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

Just got my new trolling motor from jolly ann today. I have a receptacle in my boat already for the wire leads coming from the motor. However, I need to wire up the portion from my battery to the plug. My battery is up front so it will be a distance of 4′ (8′ round trip). What guage wire should I use? Does anyone know what size wire is the standard on 55lb pd v2 us2? Thanks for your help.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I believe it’s 12 gauge.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I ran 8 gauge to a power/negative block then wired my trolling motor to that,just incase I need to remove the trolling motor in the future.

Dont forget to add in a 60 amp breaker

kris_brantner
    My river

I ran 8g on my 101 and 80lb fortrexes

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I asked Minnkota that same question for a 55# Terrova 12 volt drawing 50 Amps. Their reply was #8 and use a 60 amp breaker.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Thanks guys. After a bit more research on the minn kota site I found a chart that says to use 8ga. I included the 60 amp breaker as well. FYI-I’m not an electrician

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

When I installed mine I bought cold wether (flexible) jumper cables from F Farm. If you look around you will find that most jumpers are cheaper than buying wire off the bulk spools at Menards/Depot. Dont forget with jumpers you get a pair already.

Just cut the clamps off and solder on Battery lugs.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I sent your question on to MinnKota and I will post their responce as soon as I get it.

milemark_714

Quote:

I asked Minnkota that same question for a 55# Terrova 12 volt drawing 50 Amps. Their reply was #8 and use a 60 amp breaker.

Does the Terrova require heavier guage wire than the same Powerdrive motor?I have a 30 amp fuse on mine,and have not blown it yet.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

When I installed mine I bought cold wether (flexible) jumper cables from F Farm. If you look around you will find that most jumpers are cheaper than buying wire off the bulk spools at Menards/Depot. Dont forget with jumpers you get a pair already.
    X2 I’ve done the same with excellent results.

Just cut the clamps off and solder on Battery lugs.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I have an 8 AWG wiring harness I pulled out of my 07 Alumacraft when I upgraded to a Terrova in 2010.

Let me know if you’re interested. I can e-mail you some
    pics.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I sent your question on to MinnKota and I will post their responce as soon as I get it.

I asked,”What size wire is the standard on 55lb pd v2 us2 when my battery is up front so it will be a distance of 4′ (8′ round trip)? ”

Answer, “You could stay with 10 gauge for that distance.

Mike Neitzke

Technical Service Rep.”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.