Terrova 80 wiring

• gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Pretty stoked here. My new Minn Kota Terrova 80/US2 w/i Pilot just arrived.

It says I need a 60amp circuit breaker. Is the Minn Kota 60 amp the way to go or are there lesser expensive options that will give me equal protection?

My plan is to have two sets of batteries (which means 2 breakers) for the trolling motor. I’m sure there may have been a better way to solve the problem but I have grown tired of having to find a place to plug in before day 2 on a fishing weekend.

I am trying to decide between wiring to separate trolling motor plug ins at the bow or wiring to a battery switch. Any suggestions or anything I’ve missed?

I can’t wait to give this i-pilot and advanced auto pilot a try.

Thanks

stuart
    Mn.

I just spent 6 days using my new Terrova pretty heavily and had battery to spare.17 ft tin boat.No place to plug it in. Was happily surprised.My breaker is a generic,installed by dealer.

gonzo50613
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Quote:

I just spent 6 days using my new Terrova pretty heavily and had battery to spare.17 ft tin boat.No place to plug it in. Was happily surprised.My breaker is a generic,installed by dealer.

Hopefully my new Terrova 80 outperforms my old PD70. Seems like about 4 hours of use would run down even my new pair of Exide 27’s. That would be constant trolling of 1 – 1.5 mph.

stuart
    Mn.

The new digital units really do use less juice.My batteries are 2 29s and we did get down to 2 bars today when I plugged it in.You will love that motor.
    Born at Sartorie,ran wild in Beaver creek access before it was a park.Fished walleye behind the Brown Bottle and dam for years.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

An auto reset fuse in the appropriate amperage from your local auto parts store will work fine also.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

When I installed mine I bought the breaker at Fleet Farm. It was generic but also a spitting image of the Minn Kota breaker hanging right next to it. It was maybe $10 less expensive.

Whirly01

I run my 80 lbs Terrova on a 50 amp breaker because that breaker is about $45 less than the 60 amp breaker (I wish I knew why…). The manual says to run this motor on a 60 amp breaker so I don’t run it above 8.

Also, I run on two 27 series batteries and get ten hours use.

It’s a great motor, enjoy!

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I run my 80 lbs Terrova on a 50 amp breaker because that breaker is about $45 less than the 60 amp breaker (I wish I knew why…).

The 60 amp breaker is only $39.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I have that same motor on a 16′ crestliner and i use the spot lock in the current to fish wing dams all day and havn’t even run it half down on two group 27s its an awesome motor. I think I would run two seperate systems with there own plugs if I was going to do this. If they are seperate of each other one bad thing on one can’t shut you down you allways have another complete system to use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.