Battery tester

• bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think my trolling motor batteries are going , bought last spring.(Cabelas AGM) What is a good tester and what should they be reading. Thanks

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

A standard meter will only show you the voltage. You need to check it with a load. You can buy specialty meters for this but easier to go to Autozone or Batteries Plus etc and they will check for free. Seems odd to go bad that quickly. But every manufacturer has a bad one now and then.

BBKK
    IA

They need to be tested under a load. Depending on your trolling motor, you may be able to do it yourself. Turn it on 100% and constant on then check the voltage. If it is falling like a rock they are bad.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks guys….I was out Saturday and after about 3 hours they were shot….the trolling motor is a Mimm Kota Maxxum 80 and being charged with a Minn Kota 345D

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

They need to be tested under a load. Depending on your trolling motor, you may be able to do it yourself. Turn it on 100% and constant on then check the voltage. If it is falling like a rock they are bad.

It should be noted that a motor spinning in air with no resistance will not show the failing results you are looking for. Amps need to be drawn thus needing resistance on the motor. I.E.- Trolling motor in water pulling a boat at a high speed or accelerating.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

Thanks guys….I was out Saturday and after about 3 hours they were shot….the trolling motor is a Mimm Kota Maxxum 80 and being charged with a Minn Kota 345D

You might be charging them at too high of an amp rate with 15 amps. You might want to look into taht perhaps. I may be wrong but I think AGM needs a slower rate of charge.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I’ve never heard of load testing a deep cycle.

Make sure there’s water in every cell.
    Charge it up. It should read 13 or so.
    Wait a day or two and check voltage. A good bat will be high 12’s. I think I remember reading 12.5v is 1/2 capacity.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I’ve never heard of load testing a deep cycle.

Quote:

That’s the way I know if I’m good to go! Ask my local Distributor for Interstate Batteries.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Batteries are sealed, and when I bought the batteries I also needed a new charger and they told me at Cabelas that it wouldn’t hurt the batteries charginging them that fast . I wanted to put the 330D in but was to long for the area that it went in and the 345 was taller but not as long.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.