Rod for casting cranks

• fishhunter14

Will a St. Croix Eyecon 6’3″ medium action be a good enough rod to cast rapala’s and other crank baits?

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I’d say definitely.
    Jack

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If it’s what you allready have, then yes you can make it work. If you’re buying new just for that purpose, I’d go with a longer rod. I like 7′ plus for casting cranks.

That extra rod length allows a little more of the “whip” action needed to cast lighter crankbaits.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

definitely… longer rods, longer casting ability, more line off the water, better leverage for hook sets and management. Best part is the fish is subdued a lot faster which helps mortality if it is to be released.

The 63MXF was designed to be a jig rod and not a good choice for cranks… I would recommend a 7 foot med action.

fishhunter14

I have a 6’6″ Mitchell Avocet. Would that work better?

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

Quote:

If it’s what you allready have, then yes you can make it work. If you’re buying new just for that purpose, I’d go with a longer rod. I like 7′ plus for casting cranks.

X2

I cast cranks for eyes all season long on Big Stone Lake and my rod is a 7′ Loomis. To be honest I dont own a spinning rod less than 7′ other than a 5’6″ ultralte.

That extra rod length allows a little more of the “whip” action needed to cast lighter crankbaits.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Last week in canada I used a 7ft ml eyecon for casting cranks that might one of the best off the shelf rods I’ve used for that purpose. It whips baits a mile and is soft enough to keep from tearing hooks out.

BBKK
    IA

I use a 6’6 ML eyecon to throw cranks sometimes, just smaller #5 and #4 shad raps and flicker shads.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Sometimes what you already have is the perfect rod and we get too hung up on gear. That said I’m a gear junkie like many others here.

I have an avid 6’3″mlxf that has worked when I needed it to but maybe not my first choice. Last year I picked up a Fenwich IMG in 6’6″medium sorta fast and like that very much. Would not be opposed if that same Fenwick was 7′. All that said I have a cheapy 6’6″medium that I keep around for canoe trips that works just fine too and caught a number of fish.

If you’re trying to build the perfect quiver of rods one thing I look for in a crankbait rod is an action between medium fast and moderate. I would be interested to try out that 7’ML eyecon rod that tim posted. However I promised myself no more rods for while:)

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I have a 6’6″ Mitchell Avocet. Would that work better?

If it is a Med action, it probably will…

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

yea get a 7′ rod you will be much happier. i tried casting cranks with my legend tourny 6’3″ vertical jigging rod but i felt like there wasnt enought handle the back end to get a good hook set and there wasnt enough flex to really whip that crank bait out there a long ways. at the least i would look at a 6’8″ med extra fast rod. but you definatly want a flexible tip to really be able to whip the crank bait out there

riverfisher
    Cedar Falls, IA

I recently got a 7’2″ medium light fast action Shimano Compre spinning rod just for this same purpose. (From guess the weight-thanks Dean/Eric/and SBC!!) I spooled it up with 12lb nanofil and it really flings the crankbaits out well! Haven’t used it tons yet, but it handles big and small crankbaits very well, and absorbs the pulls and shakes from the fish nicely. At $110 with a lifetime guarantee I’m happy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.