Ipilot interference

• tjwd83
    Wentzville MO

I am having trouble with my ipilot and 778c. My power source for this unit is attached to my trolling batteries when i power on the trolling motor it causes a disturbance with the sonar and depth reading I get. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to fix this outside of running the power source back to the cranking battery?

shaley
    Milford IA

Finder should be on the cranking battery….I know a guy in our club had all sorts of issues with his HB unit on the bow with interference….

dugout
    Dubuque Ia

Hooking it up to the cranking battery, or another battery “seperate” from trolling motor batteries is the only way to go.

tjwd83
    Wentzville MO

Thanks for the info that’s what I was afraid of. Guess I have a new project to work on before the weekend.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Can try and inline noise suppresser/filter. Worked for me in the past but on older electronics.

tweak

Tjwd, just want to echo what others have said, retire the bird to your cranking battery. It won’t take as long ad you think and it will save you other headaches down the road.

When I installed my lowrance I was so close to the breaker box of my instrument panel I couldn’t resist tapping it for power. Everything worked and I went fishing. Trouble was every once and awhile it would o something goofy and I would blame lowrance or look for a software update. I finally bit the bullet and retired the unit directly to the battery. It wasn’t fun, but it took half the time I thought it would and the unit has been flawless since.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Not sure on your boat but I have a switch upfront for my power trim on my big motor. It is directly wired to my starting battery, I hook my depth finder into this and have not had any issues. Just have to remember to turn the finder off, it is a constant on wire.

tjwd83
    Wentzville MO

Thanks again guys for all the info. Hopefully I can get her wired today and get out on the water this weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.