Need advice on a boat lift

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Buying a cabin on the east side of Mille Lacs. My boat is a Crestliner Sportfish 1850 with a 150 Yamaha.

I am looking for reccomendations on a lift. Weight rating, veritcal or cantilevered, awning or not. And maybe most importantly, why…

Thanks, I appreciate your insights.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I would do something to get it out of the water like a lift or rail system. Make sure the lift goes high enough so that the rollers won’t get it. I would also have a canopy to keep the sun off, doesn’t take long for stuff to fade and crack. Depending on where you are at you may need to take the boat out each night, look at what your neighbors are doing if in doubt.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

If it is real shallow, you will want a verticle lift. If not, either will work. Verticle will be more expensive. Wheels are a nice option to add for putting in and taking it out. Canopies are also a great option as opposed to having to cover your boat at night or during the week. An electric winch would also be worth considering. With the rollers on Mille Lacs, you will want to lift it way out of the water. That gets to be alot of cranking if you don’t have an electric winch.

I agree with looking at what your neighbors are doing.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have several friends with places on Mille Lacs one on the south one on the north. They both have boat lifts without canopies. They both have had storm rip canopies apart and had boats damaged. They both only use the lifts for day use and trailer the boat each night. A rail system to get the boat up and away from the water is probably best if your lot allows it.

Mwal

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

4000# vertical lift with a wheel kit and adjustable legs. I would get bunks vs. pads. Canopies are nice but are subject to wind damage, but the newer, low profile styles seem to hold up pretty well. Just make sure if you leave your boat off the lift you remove the canopy – they become a big sail in heavy winds and can tip the lift.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Don’t leave your boat on a lift on Mille Lacs.

I am not sure you can get it high enough – Big Storms – Big Waves make boat owner unhappy when he comes to see his boat piled up on the shore

Dog

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

are you in a bay or on the main lake? i live on cove bay and this year alone, we have had 4 storm surges that have came over my seawall, 3 feet high. they left a weed line in the yard. you want the deck of your dock about 28-30 inches from the water. there was a storm in june that took out all the docks from the old shore acers to the rum river. in cove bay there was dock damage twice, the second time, there were boats and wave runners pushed up on shore and floting about the bay. if you get a lift, you will need 4 screw in posts to anchor the lift down. if you have a sand beach, you can use tamarack and use a water hose to sink in the sand and attach it to the lift. that will hold it in place.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.