Float-Tec PFD

• wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

I sure do like my float-tec. But…it inflated on me and now I need to know if I can get a new CO2 cartridge for it. Maybe I should just PM BK huh? I had the PFD out of it’s shell and was wearing only the vest while on the Croix Sunday. Too hot to wear the whole jacket. I didn’t store the vest. It was just lying on one of the seats in the boat. I had the boat covered (canvas). It rained hard Monday night. I take the cover off yesterday and whamo – inflated life vest. I guess enough water got through the cover and onto the vest to trigger it. I have to say I am surprised. Anyway, what do I do now?

BTW – had a great time. Thanks for all the suggestions in the St. Croix forum last week!! Even caught some fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Toss it in the trash and by a new one.

Ok seriously with the heat and humility we’ve been having, I wouldn’t be leaving my inflatable outside at all.

In fact, I take mine indoors when I’m not using them. After all they are not a $30. PFD.

If you need one today I have one down at Everts or THIS is the one you need<<

I’ve seen them on line for $18.xx if you do a bit of searching.

PS you are the first person I’ve heard that’s had one discharge. How old is it and when was the bobbin replace last?

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

I got it a couple years ago from Shnoop. Wasn’t it you who listed that link here on IDO?

Replace the bobbin? Huh?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If I recall they come with an extra bobbin. At least mine did. On the inside of the vest there’s directions on annual maintenance…but replacing the bobbin isn’t an annual event.

The good thing is that you now know it will hold air!

Get two recharge kits, one for a back up.
    Follow the annual test directions like inflating it once or twice each season. I use my mouth. (no comments Pug) to check for leaks.

Change the bobbin on recommended intervals and keep it hanging up in your closet when not in use like your $200. rain gear.

I don’t think I posted that link. Someone found them for an unbelievable price of $39. if I recall.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mine are about due for replacement. I plan on doing a “test” prior to replacing the cartridge/bobbins.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I don’t think I posted that link. Someone found them for an unbelievable price of $39. if I recall.

And that is why I have three! Although they won’t honor their warranty on them because of the price

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just remember you don’t have to replace the cartridge. Unless you want to of course.

I don’t recall what a three pack of bobbins run but that’s all that needs to be replaced…as long as it’s notdischarged.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Just remember you don’t have to replace the cartridge. Unless you want to of course.

Really? I thought the whole shebang needed replacing. I guess you just saved me some dough, although now I don’t get to test them out

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s $20. a pop if you want to have to fun of jumping in the water with them. That is worth something. LOL!

The Co2 can be unscrewed at anytime (storage for long periods of time). It’s the bobbin that needs to be replaced occasionally. Please read directions…I could spout them off here, but if I miss something I’ll get yelled at.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

And just what does the bobbin do and why does it need replacing? Always wondered.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The bobbin is the piece that goes into the “clear plastic cup” that turns the red indicator to green meaning that it’s armed (assuming there’s a cartridge in place).

This is what dissolves when water comes up from the bottom and allows the Co2 to fill the vest.

If a vest is kept in a high humidity area such as a boat with a cover on or in a compartment with water in the boat and high heat…they dissolve faster than intended.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

Ahhhh, thanks BK. So after time they probably get less sensitive and thus the replacement? I’m going to do that right now, been too long and I do have a kit darn it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

So after time they probably get less sensitive

Actually they get more sensitive.

The more moisture that gets at the “pill” the easier it will be to discharge the Co2.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Brian,

Where’s the best/cheapest place to buy a Float-Tec? I keep looking at Cabela’s manual PFD and doesn’t make sense to me to buy an inflatable preserver that requires you to pull the string to inflate it. If you are unconscious, etc., doesn’t do a person much good… I suppose it’s the same as having a life jacket wrapped around the boat seat – ya gotta be able to put it on for it to be of help……..

Thanks

Pete

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yes. I ordered vest only from AHOY. Website said in-stock. Rep now says backordered and I cannot order jacket alone at later date. I have had nothing but problems ordering this product starting with manufacturer. Though AHOY was very nice and finally answered all my product questions though losing the jacket only option was a suprise.

Gee, cant wait to be safe…….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.