Kicker motor speeds

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Being that I have my first boat with a kicker motor, I am not sure if i am expecting too much from my kicker. I can troll down to about 1.7 in forward (GPS speed) at idle. Is this consistent with what others are seeing?

I forgot to charge the batteries on my boat Friday night, and when I was out Saturday morning, I had no troller. I was running about .75 with the troller and could not duplicate it with the kicker.

Am I asking too much from my kicker?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Both my Pro Kicker and Yammie T8 would troll down to .8 mph. You might have to turn the idle speed screw on the carb out a couple turns to get the idle speed to drop. Very easy to do.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

What’s the HP of your kicker?

You can always drag bags to slow it down.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I am running a 2004 9.9 Johnson kicker on a 20′ Crestliner.

I would like to stay away from bags if I can for the sake of simplicity.

Thanks guys.

Walleyebry
    Isle, mn.

Depending on lake conditions I can get down to .7 on forward troll and .4 backtrolling. I have a 2007 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke. Sounds like you need to idle yours down . Right next to the carb there is an adjustment screw, small phillips. Real easy to adjust.
    Walleyebry

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If you can’t get the idle speed down, you can try:

1. A lower piched prop.

2. Drop the bow mount and let it drag. Turn sideways for more drag.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

My T8 on my Alumacraft Navigator 175 will only troll down to about 1.6. I tried adjusting the idle, but if I lower it any more than it is currently, it doesn’t stay running. If I put the bow mount down and turn it sideways, and put the main motor down and leave it in gear, I can get down to about 1.4

A new prop is on my list, I just haven’t gotten around to looking for one.

eyehabit
    WestBend Wisconsin

put your big motor shifter in reverse to give it more drag(not running of course) if you have trim tilt on your kicker you can trim it up a bit you lose some of it’s punch. also quarter the waves or troll into them to slow your self down

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

My T8 on my Alumacraft Navigator 175 will only troll down to about 1.6. I tried adjusting the idle, but if I lower it any more than it is currently, it doesn’t stay running. If I put the bow mount down and turn it sideways, and put the main motor down and leave it in gear, I can get down to about 1.4

A new prop is on my list, I just haven’t gotten around to looking for one.

Running the trolling motor against the main motor works well to to get it to troll down. You can really fine tune your spend by adjusting the speed of the trolling motor.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

If you can’t get the idle speed down, you can try:

1. A lower piched prop.

2. Drop the bow mount and let it drag. Turn sideways for more drag.

So if I were looking to get the slowest possible speed I could switch to a 4 blade prop with a 5″ pitch?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, you can try that. The problem you may run into is most dealers don’t have demo prop programs for kickers. So you would end up buying one “guessing” if it will perform better.

You might want to call a local prop shop and ask if they can change the pitch on your current prop.

-J.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Thanks Guys!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I have a 1998 Johnson 9.9 four stroke and use a Solas 4 blade 9 X 5 prop. On my Crestliner 182TS I can get down to .3 GPS going forward and dead calm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.