ThermaCELL question

• orangewhip3x
    Blaine

I know there have been posts on here before about the effectiveness of the ThermaCELL product…I can’t seem to find those posts. I was hoping to get a better idea if that is a good investment or not? Anyone have any thoughts? What configuration works best and under what conditions?

fishim
    Minnesota

picked one up at krugerfarms.com last year and it is worth every penny. I used it for bowhunting, turkey hunting, and I even use it on my fishing trips when I am working in the boat at night getting my all my gear ready. They dont have a real big range but for individual use they will keep you mosquito free! They do make a lantern style one for more range for things like around the campfire or out on the deck and so on

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wouldn’t be out in my boat without one in the evening. There’s about 45 minutes when the skeeters go nuts and the Thermocell keeps them at bay.

Windy conditions I seldom need to worry about the buggers. Any other time and I click the striker and with in 5 minutes I forget there’s sketters around.

Oh there’s the Kamikaze that comes in, but nothing like it is without a TC.

orangewhip3x
    Blaine

Do you recommend more than one? Or will one work?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

In my 17 foot boat I just have one. There has been a few times where the person in front has been pestered…but I can count those time on one hand over the past 5 years.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

In my 17 foot boat I just have one. There has been a few times where the person in front has been pestered…but I can count those time on one hand over the past 5 years.

I was pestered the whole night I fished with you… From both ends of the boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That was mostly Tuck.

haywood
    Isanti, MN

I bought one a few years ago to leave in the boat. then I bought one to leave on the patio, then I needed another one for when I was in the garage and my wife was on the patio. They are worth every penny. I know for a fact that at least another dozen have been bought by people who have fished with me or hung out with me while I have benn using them.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

I will not early season bow hunt without one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Has anyone had a BAD experience with one?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I have yet to open the box on the one I bought last year after a glowing post like this one! Can you believe I still twitch dance and swat!?

haywood
    Isanti, MN

The only time I have had any issues was when I used a 2 year old cartridge. It wasn’t neerly as effective as a new one. And I would also buy a few extra butane cartridges, cause you WILL forget to shut it off on occassion and run it empty

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Do you recommend more than one? Or will one work?

I believe the range is 250′ or more. We used them up north two weeks ago when the skeeters were horrid and they did a really great job in keeping them away. When the wind picks up a little I would imagine that 250′ range is a down wind factor but still the ThermaCell is pretty effective all around.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

If you want to try one before you buy, let me know and you can borrow one of mine after I get back from my vacation next week.
    They work very well.

Ron

pbitschura

They work great. Take one to Country Jam and Prairie Dog Blues Festival and treat all the neighbors to skeeter free weekend. They don’t work real well against gnats tho.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

one thermocell allows me to sit in my boat at night, catfishing, with shorts, tank top and sandals on.

bug bites, and bug spray are a thing of the past.

i have noticed that in northern minnesota, i have had a few occurrences where the mosquitos are so thick, that it has no effect on them, even with multiple ones out.

but these are the times where it is clouds of mosquitos. something 10 times worse then anything we get down here in the southern part of the state.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I wouldn’t be without mine in my tree stand during early season.

whittsend

Last June I spent a week of evenings in a treestand in the heart of Newfoundland mosquito/deer fly country. “Evening” seemed like it lasted 6 hours in the thick, close, damp backcountry. SWARMS of bugs. One thermocell between my feet in the treestand allowed me to even sit without gloves or a headnet if I desired. Give it 10 minutes to warm up and you’re covered.

Oh ya – shot (bow/arrow) a bear with it running, too.

orangewhip3x
    Blaine

Thanks everybody…The glowing reviews have inspired me to buy one. I’ll have to try it out on the back deck over a beverage in the next day or two.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

The website says mosquitos, black flies, no-see-ums, sand flies, and other flying,biting insects.

whittsend

They DO work great on other bugs.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

I have been using one for the boat and archery hunting for a few years now.

One of the best friends I have in the boat for bugs and in a tree stand.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Mine is packed and heading with me to Northern Manitoba bear huting next week…. mosquitos up there can carry a guy off and it works great on them The cost of the unit is nothing… around $20… its the pads and butane where you spend the money… but worth it, rather than ruin a hunt or outing

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I’ll promise you one thing you’ll wish you had one before now

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

They work great and are well worth the investment.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

I do have one that I will try out on the gnats this weekend. Hopefully this will work on the gnats as we are sitting in the boat.

Small river,early morning,tons of gnats. We’ll see how it works. I’ll dig this post up after we try it and post how it works on gnats.

They should work on the gnats. That’s what USED to pester me the worst in my tree stand.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Quote:

Quote:

I have yet to open the box on the one I bought last year after a glowing post like this one! Can you believe I still twitch dance and swat!?

I bought one 2 years ago. I keep forgetting that I have it. It’s still in the box/wrapper.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I am so happy with mine, if I forget it, I turn around and go get it. One time last year I turned it on and no bugs. I ran out of the fuel and it shut off (I wish they had an alarm when that happens). We got decended on by a furious cloud of skeeters. I noticed it was out replaced the cartridge and in less than a minute the skeeters were all gone. Thermocell is the best invention for catfisherman since an old guy from Iowa put blood in his bait pail.

big_g
    Isle, MN

They do have an alarm… it’s the buzzing you start hearing in your ears… When I use mine Bear Hunting, I can tell/hear, when it is getting down there…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Love it! We were camping up on the North Shore this weekend and I was so glad to have it with. It really is effective.
    The Off! Power Pad lamps do pretty much the same thing except use a candle instead of butane. My M-I-L has a few at the cabin. Plop them around the fire and you’re pretty much mosquito free.
    I’ve found the best prices on Thermacell’s and refill kits at Fleet Farm. Come to think of it, I could probably use some refills!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.