Water Spike

• pbitschura

My water spike arrived today. Most impressive. I did one modification. The clevis ring appears a bit flimsy so I replaced it with a beefier one. Can’t wait to see how she works in current.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good deal. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve on getting them to set up and to release again. In heavy current make sure and drop well up stream of where you want to set. Also make sure the boat is moving down river. This will help insure the point of the flukes are pointing down river and set properly.

Now if you get it set in real well the cleves needs to get pulled to the front of the anchor for easier release. This means getting the boat up river of the anchor point and pulling the rope to convince the clevis to slide to the front.

Once you get used to a water spike they are very easy to use.

Angler II

Make sure to have a good amount of chain attatched to the anchor as this will help hook ups in high wind situations.

pbitschura

Can you please explain why chain is better? How long a “leader” do I need? What do you use to join the chain to the ring?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

A chain helps prevent your rope from getting cut up on the rocks. I also like it to help with releasing the anchor. Trying to get the rope to slide to the front end of the anchor with current pushing against it can be a chore with out some weight on it.

I dont know my chain sizes. Pick something thats strong enough to handle the load but not so heavy that it out weighs the anchor. About 3 to 4′ is plenty.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.