Goodyear Marathon Radials

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I remember reading posts here some time ago about trailer tires, good and bad, and where they were made. Somehow I came away with the impression that all were made in China, which did not speak well of long life tires.
    I bought a new set of Goodyear Marathons for my trailer last Fall and as I unblocked the trailer in the garage from Winter storage, I happened to check the stamp on the side, and wouldn’t you know it???? there it was…made my heart light right up…MADE IN USA. I love it !!!

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

yeap, they’re out there. Last fall I had a dealer in Racine WI find me 2, then just a couple of weeks ago I stumbled across a dealer on ebay, from Des Moines IA, that had a date-matching copy to the 2 I bought last year.
    The secret seemed to be to get the OWL (outline white letter) version, at least in the 215/75R-14 size I bought.
    HRG

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If they were made in the USA, they are not new. Maybe new off a shelf, but at least 2-3 years old. So you should expect to replace in 2-3 years.

There should be a date stamp to veryify date of manufacture.

-J.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

-J.

J.

How do you read the date stamp on a tire?

Thanks,

FDR

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

If they were made in the USA, they are not new. Maybe new off a shelf, but at least 2-3 years old. So you should expect to replace in 2-3 years.

-J.

You know not what you speak. The date code is 1510, which is the 15th week of 2010, so last September, when I bought the first 2, they were 5-6 months old. I can post a picture of the date and plant code if you need more proof.
    HRG

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Are they made in the USA and are they trailer tires? BTW, my date stamp was in month and year on my old set.

When I shopped GYM just a couple months ago, I was told by the manager of the Goodyear Tire store I was standing in there are no more GYM “Trailer” tires made in the USA.

-J.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

How do you read the date stamp on a tire?

Thanks,

FDR

FDR,
    find the letters “DOT” on your sidewall, the next 2 digits indicate the plant code of where they were manufactured. Here is a list of plant codes to decipher them: http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm

then, look for 4 numbers, the first 2 indicate the week, the last 2 indicate the year.
    so, my example of 1510 means the tire was manufactured in the 15th week of 2010, or roughly mid-April 2010.
    Hope this helps, HRG

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I think you might find some old one’s floating around in someone’s inventory.

Here is Goodyear’s direct response when asked if Marathons are made in the USA back on May 2010:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
    Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site and for thinking of Goodyear for your replacement tire needs.

Goodyear is the only major US owned and operated tire manufacturer and our world headquarters are located in Akron, Ohio.

We are a global corporation with manufacturing plants throughout the world.

However, the vast majority of Goodyear tires sold in the US are
    manufactured in our North America tire plants.

The Marathon trailer tires are now being manufactured in our plant in China.

Regards,
    Teresa G
    Consumer Relations

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Are they made in the USA and are they trailer tires? BTW, my date stamp was in month and year on my old set.

When I shopped GYM just a couple months ago, I was told by the manager of the Goodyear Tire store I was standing in there are no more GYM “Trailer” tires made in the USA.

-J.

yes sir. They very clearly say “Made in USA”, and are OWL Goodyear Marathons. Listen to your dealer all you want, I have them in my possesion.
    HRG

I really need to learn to stay off this site. Try to provide FACTUAL information to others, and get nothing but doubt in return.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Guys, go out and google up “GoodYear Marathon USA” Browse through some of the discussion forums out there. You will find no love affair with GYM made in the USA. There are better choices imo.

HRG, you have new GYM, I have new “No Names”. Let see whose fare better over the next few years.

-J.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Guys, go out and google up “GoodYear Marathon USA” Browse through some of the discussion forums out there. You will find no love affair with GYM made in the USA. There are better choices imo.

HRG, you have new GYM, I have new “No Names”. Let see whose fare better over the next few years.

-J.

John, what brand did you buy?

I’m looking at new tires.

Thanks

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I bought the house brand sold at National Tire and Battery. (NTB) Matched the load range, speed range and tire size exactly and a great looking radial tire. Price and service was excelent too!

-J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I really need to learn to stay off this site. Try to provide FACTUAL information to others, and get nothing but doubt in return.

If you can’t hack some questioning in response to something you put out on the internet you might want to evaluate if this form of communication is indeed for you.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

…or try taking a 9 year old tire off your boat trailer and roll it into a Good Year store and see what they tell ya. Think I just sit back and make this stuff up?

Might as well just not look at the other sites you posted your questons on last Oct when you were clueless too? And who has the time to do what you did? Shop all over the country for a couple tires? That is nuts!

I don’t mind being wrong. I have no problem standing corrected. I do it here often. Learn new stuff here every day. But you keep going around treating people you deal with like you do here and that will get you nowhere in life.

-J.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

with regards to the “made in USA” tire issue, as long as I’m employed in US-based manufacturing, I will try my hardest to support other manufacturers who produce products in the USA.

with regards to responses, all I’ve ever tried to do was help others enjoy their boating experience. I’ve made some friends thru IDO, but have ruffled some feathers too.
    So, I bid you all goodbye, and have a safe & productive season.
    HRG

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.