Elevated River Levels

• nclaker

My wife & I are looking to do some pleasure boating (pontoon) on Lake Pepin on Monday & Tuesday next week (7/18-19). Looks like the river water levels are supposed to come up quite a bit. Anyone know what kind of impact that could have our boating plans? We would also like to have the option of motoring up towards Red Wing or Wabasha.

The NOAA graphs show it currently at 7.4 feet, but is expected to rise to 14.1 by 7/18 (putting it into the “action” level which starts at 13′). Flow rate goes from 26 kcfs to 92.

Thanks,!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’re doing a houseboat trip out of Alma 7/14 – 7/17. I’m also curious/concerned.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Make sure to find a ramp that will be open and watch out for trees coming downstream!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since this will be the highest level we’ve had for a couple years, it’s going to look like spring time flooding with debris.

If you don’t go flying around at +30 miles per hour you’ll be good.

Some of the navigational can “could” go under water. Keep an eye out for pockets of nervous water.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’m curious to see how muddy the water in Pools 2 and 3 will become. Normally during a high water event, a lot of the flow is coming from the Minnesota river which carries a lot of silt from the farmland country. But most of this water will be coming from the upper Mississippi and the St. Croix water sheds which got pounded with the heavy rains on Monday. These two rivers don’t carry as much silt as the Minnesota river so I’m thinking Pools 2 and 3 won’t be as muddy as they typically are during high water.

Boone

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Since this will be the highest level we’ve had for a couple years, it’s going to look like spring time flooding with debris.

Will I need to find a different launch Brian?

Imagine hastings will be fine
    Diamond bluffs probably could launch from parking lot
    Prescott, not sure what it’ll look like.

Any concerns at everts?

I love dodging trees. Got so used to that on the MN river

Will this push any of Mississippi or Croix into “no wake”?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Dang. Looks like 83′ Croix is no wake.

Will take me a decade to get to my high water sturgeon spot!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Andy,

I don’t ever recall the Prescott ramp being closed due to high water. Basically the first row of parking spots may become submerged and I’m sure part of the road will be submerged. It just turns into a very wide ramp… just launch anywhere in the parking lot. The “ramp” pitch gets to be pretty shallow so those with bunk trailers can have a hard time getting their boats to float off the bunks. Watch so you don’t run into some of the street signs when heading out.

And when the Croix becomes No-Wake, it does take forever to get anyway and the sheriff will be out patrolling it. I don’t recall the Mississippi ever going to a No-Wake designation other than the standard No-Wake zones.

Boone

dbright
    Cambridge

I was itching to go run the Kettle the past two days watching the water rise. I ran it a couple years ago at 20k and it was a heck of a ride in a Jon boat. It looked like it peaked right around 23k today.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The city of Prescott has closed the ramp in the past.
    I’m not sure at what level the parking lot is flooded.

Everts has been open to above flood stage in the past…not sure about now.
    At a predicted 12.3, it’s going to be a yawner. I plan on being out on Saturday day with the family.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.