Electric downriggers on 24 volt

• Gino
    Grand rapids mn

So I’m thinking of replacing my manuals for electric ones. When I’m on the big lake I’m using the kicker and have the two twelve volt battery’s wired for the twenty four volt trolling motor just sitting there. Is there a way to wire the electric downriggers to these batteries? Thanks

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

So I’m thinking of replacing my manuals for electric ones. When I’m on the big lake I’m using the kicker and have the two twelve volt battery’s wired for the twenty four volt trolling motor just sitting there. Is there a way to wire the electric downriggers to these batteries? Thanks

Sure, just wire them to EACH 12V battery, like you would connect an on-board charger.

HRG

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Thanks,I was hoping I could do that but was unsure if it would burn them up as they are wired in series for the trolling motor but each has its own onboard charger wires.

Reef W

Thanks,I was hoping I could do that but was unsure if it would burn them up as they are wired in series for the trolling motor but each has its own onboard charger wires.

Having the batteries at different charges isn’t ideal but a downrigger shouldn’t use that much juice. With multiple you could also split them between each battery and then it would stay about the same. If you really wanted you could get a 24v to 12v converter and draw perfectly equal but it isn’t necessary and it’s just another thing that could fail and make your downriggers not work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.