Early goose 2019

• Smackem33

Why the hell doesn’t it start on Saturday just found out today it’s on Sunday the 1st. I thought they wanted us to kill these stupid things why not give us 3 days im a row before we have to go to work again???

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Very fair question. I have no idea.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I think there is some stupid law about it not opening before September. We ran into this one other year also.

When it used to open in August they called it a special hunt or something not a “season”

zooks

I think there is some stupid law about it not opening before September. We ran into this one other year also.

When it used to open in August they called it a special hunt or something not a “season”

Migratory birds don’t care where international borders are drawn so it’s a federal issue regarding the Sep 1 start date and ultimately goes through the Dept of Interior, which provides guidelines to the states as to when/how they can set their hunting seasons.

This also explains the “special hunt” wording for openers prior to Sep 1; any state would have to receive a special exception from the Dept of Interior to allow these hunts outside of the fed’s seasonal guidelines.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is the reason. It can’t legally start in August.

Smackem33

North dakota’s early goose started August 15th so this no hunting in August is just another one of those dumb mn laws i guess. And dang they can whack 15 a day!

tornadochaser

North dakota’s early goose started August 15th so this no hunting in August is just another one of those dumb mn laws i guess. And dang they can whack 15 a day!

MN is following the september resident goose season framework as put in place by the feds. The august “take” is a separate framework that states are allowed to implement should they feel their resident goose populations require additional harvest. SD didn’t use the august framework this year either.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.