E-15

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

New gas station in town is selling E-15 which states an 89 Octane and is 5 cents cheaper per gallon than the 87 Octane.
    Good – Bad – Otherwise. Opinions??

brentbullets

You get what you pay for. I am not a believer in ethanol though and run Premium 91 octane in my vehicle and diesel in another.

Ryan Templeton

I have seen these around as well but yet to buy…. something about running off corn always seemed kinda weird to me…

payday
    Ramsey, Mn

I have previously ran E-85 in my Silverado and it ended up being more expensive per mile than when I ran regular unleaded, due to lower MPG.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I put that in my work van by mistake once. The van is e85 compatible. The loss of power compared to 87 was astonishing. I don’t keep track of mpg so I couldn’t tell you how many mpg I lost on that tank. Ethinol has fewer btus per pound compared to petroleum so in theory you will loose mpg.

disco bobber

I feel like I am taking part in habitat destruction by fueling with more ethanol.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I figured some numbers once on fuel milage of a Toyota Sequoia running regular vs. E-85. The break even point for me was that E85 would have to be $.50 cheaper than regular for it to be cost effective to run, in addition to stopping more frequently to fill up. Minimum to no ethanol for this guy.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I put that in my work van by mistake once. The van is e85 compatible. The loss of power compared to 87 was astonishing. I don’t keep track of mpg so I couldn’t tell you how many mpg I lost on that tank. Ethinol has fewer btus per pound compared to petroleum so in theory you will loose mpg.

As Dave said: Ethanol has fewer BTU’s per gallon over straight gasoline. Physics tells us your MPG will go down by using ethanol. Now if you want to use it to support agriculture, cleaner air, etc. that is up to each individual. As far as stopping dependency on foreign oil? We already export more than we import I have read. True or not, I don’t know.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I wouldn’t use it. I use E10 in my car and truck as long as it is at least 5% cheaper than non ethanol 87. Like others have said, fewer btu equal less go. I have had people claim they got better mileage on E10 but I don’t believe them. I suppose that a particular vehicle could be programed and tuned specifically for E10 and perform best on it but doubt that is common. As for other gas engines I only use non ethanol fuel.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I wouldn’t use it. I use E10 in my car and truck as long as it is at least 5% cheaper than non ethanol 87. Like others have said, fewer btu equal less go. I have had people claim they got better mileage on E10 but I don’t believe them. I suppose that a particular vehicle could be programed and tuned specifically for E10 and perform best on it but doubt that is common. As for other gas engines I only use non ethanol fuel.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Check out the video. E-85 by all accounts should increase power if our vehicle’s tuning would allow for it. At what mpg, i don’t know.

404 ERROR
    MN

Gixxer is correct. If your car has a map for it, you will have a slight increase in power when using E85.

E85 is a wonderful thing in the tuner and powersports realm. New turbocharged UTV’s can see some incredible power gains with an E85 map, as the octane rating allows timing advancement and higher boost levels without detonation. Other than that, it’s just corn…

Evolution powersports in Somerset recently built a CanAm X3 with a big turbo setup for E85 and pulled 290WHP out of a 900CC turbo motor…Obviously that’s an extreme case, but even on a smaller scale, power CAN be increased with E85, it’s just up to the mfg’s whether they do it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I doubt anybody would notice running E15 vs 87 octane (most 87 octane is already being blended at 10% ethanol, boosting from 85 to 87) … if your running 91 octane in a modern gas vehicle (2001+) I think your spending more than you need to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.