Duck boat insurance

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

So we have a 14′ Jon boat with a 9.9 HP and are planning on fishing it on a very minimal basis and hunt out of it on a minimal basis as well.
    What do I need for insurance to cover my arss and be legal?
    80% of the time it will be sitting in my yard doing nothing but want to be covered and legal.

munchy
    NULL

Boat insurance is not mandatory in MN. However having at least liability insurance on them is a good idea to cover your butt if something does happen.

You may also want to check your homeowners policy, it will likely cover the boat when it is parked in your yard.

If you have a loan on the boat the bank will probably require insurance to cover their butt.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Most homeowners policies extend liability coverage over boats up to a certain horsepower, usually 75hp, if my memory serves me right. If you’ve got a copy of your policy and aren’t sleeping well, you could try to read through it to find the coverage. Benefits: you should be able to find the answer to your question OR if you can’t find the answer, at least reading insurance language will help put you to sleep. If you’re a good sleeper, I’d call your homeowner’s insurance agent to find out.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

Just call your ins agent. You don’t need it in iowa either but it’s so cheap there’s no reason not to. I have mine through progressive and they let you choose the coverages. My Jon boat is a 16′ with a 25 hp merc and with full coverage of my agreed apon value of $4000 and another $2000 for belongings in the boat it around $15 a month. I do have anot her boat and my vehicles with them so I get some sort of discount for multiple policies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.