Drywall Q

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m updating the towel bars in a bathroom. What I am replacing are the ceramic base, glued-on type. I’ve got them off, so now it comes to repair. Most of them came off with minimal damage (i.e. mostly just ripped off the paper). I planned on just skimming those with joint compound. Is there anything else I should do?

The TP holder came off with a little more difficulty. A chunk of the drywall that’s roughly 2″ x 3″ and 1/2″ deep stuck to the fixture. Should I just build that up with joint compound, or is there a better option?

Thanks!

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Couple of different options depending on your drywall coating abilities you can use paper tape to cover a hole that size by over layering the pieces of tape to cover hole or scab in smaller pieces of 1/2’s and allow to overhang in hole about a half inch on each side to allow you the backing to piece another square of drywall in hope this helps….kent

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Is there any drywall missing, if its a small hole just fill it with compound. Just build it up with probably 3 to 4 coats beings it that deep Ralph. When The last coat dries just sponge the edges out instead of sanding, less mess. If its orange peeled for texture just use the spray can type for about 10 bucks, should be good to go.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

You can always cut out a square of drywall and patch in a new one. Use a template so both pieces are the same size. Trace your template over the damaged section and trace the same template on a new piece of drywall. Cut out the damaged area and put a piece of wood behind the hole so you have something to screw the patch to, something like a chunk of 1 X 2 works fine. Make the wood long enough to go past each side of the hole a couple inches. Put the wood in and sink a screw into it through the remaining drywall on each side of the hole. Put your patch in and screw that to the board. Tape and mud the seams. Takes a little longer but works the best IMO.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You can always cut out a square of drywall and patch in a new one.

I’ve done that in the past, but I don’t think this will require that drastic of measure.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Grab a roll of the mesh drywall tape with the sticky back. Set a few pieces over the hole and infill with mud. No big deal.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Assuming you will be painting over? Most annoying thing with patches is even after repairs you can see the texture difference between previous paint being built up with nap roller and patched area being relatively smooth from lack of buildup.
    To fix I buy those small rollers and build up with that to achieve same look. Especially being in the bathroom and as much time as a guy spends in there the eyes are going to pick it up every time on the can if not done right. Maybe a bit anal but worth mentioning.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well on my way to checking this chore off of the list!

Assuming you will be painting over? Most annoying thing with patches is even after repairs you can see the texture difference between previous paint being built up with nap roller and patched area being relatively smooth from lack of buildup.
    To fix I buy those small rollers and build up with that to achieve same look.

It annoys me, too, and that is exactly my plan. I even had some small rollers laying around from a previous project.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.