driving with 4 way flashers on in snow storm

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Seems like an overreaction to me unless blizzard and difficult to see others.

Charles

I did it the first time yesterday driving around mille lacs it was complete white and ice conditions and people were driving full speed through the bays. Saw one person went into the lake by twin pines and another before head on into a tree.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    Hazards lights are for emergency use period. I saw a guy last week towing a trailer at night without trailer lights. Apparently he thought if he turned his hazards on he didn’t need trailer lights flame

You might consider the possibility that when you see somebody doing something the “wrong way,” it doesn’t necessarily mean that person is an idiot or an a-hole, he might just be making the most of a crappy situation.

I have been that guy in that exact situation before — when I left the house the trailer lights were groovy. When I loaded the boat back on the trailer at 10pm, I found that the harness had been damaged and I didn’t have the tools or parts to fix them. At that point you do everything you can to make yourself visible.

Understood, but the guy pulling the trailer pulled out of a driveway, so he left home knowing the lights didn’t work. I get what you are saying though waytogo

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Understood, but the guy pulling the trailer pulled out of a driveway, so he left home knowing the lights didn’t work. I get what you are saying though

Fair enough, that guy is an idiot doah

HYBES
    SE MN

Semi’s out west do it all the time. I thought it was strange.

blank

How slow are we talking? And at how slow of a speed makes it acceptable?

What about tractors driving down a highway, and especially an accompanying vehicle behind it?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

One of the dangers of slow drivers or people with hazard lights on is that everyone else gets more aggressive to try to get around them and it creates other problems. People who think, “what is the harm” are only about themselves and not everyone else on the road.

Angler II

Hazards lights are for emergency use period. I saw a guy last week towing a trailer at night without trailer lights. Apparently he thought if he turned his hazards on he didn’t need trailer lights flame

You might consider the possibility that when you see somebody doing something the “wrong way,” it doesn’t necessarily mean that person is an idiot or an a-hole, he might just be making the most of a crappy situation.

I have been that guy in that exact situation before — when I left the house the trailer lights were groovy. When I loaded the boat back on the trailer at 10pm, I found that the harness had been damaged and I didn’t have the tools or parts to fix them. At that point you do everything you can to make yourself visible.

Or don’t tow the trailer and put other people in danger because YOUR lights aren’t working correctly.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Just when I thought I’d seen it all on IDO, people carry on for two pages about someone’s choice to drive with flashers on in adverse conditions. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Future Topics to Debate on IDO:

What’s the best first move in Tic-Tac-Toe?

Is it better to call “heads” or “tails” in a coin toss?

Do you say “milk” or “melk”?

Would you rather bash your head into a brick wall or a concrete wall after reading through this topic?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You know Bucky, it’s not hard to see your a judgemental person. If IDO is full of such crap threads exactly why are you here?

If you don’t like it, don’t comment. Pretty simple. No need to bash every single person who post on a thread you feel is inferior to your standards.
    wave wave wave wave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just goes to show that it doesn’t take much to keep us entertained Bucky!

Can’t shed hunt (around here anyway)
    Morels aren’t poking out of the snow yet.
    Most can’t get at their boats.
    Few have thought about changing the line on their reels yet.

Idle minds about this time of year…I’m just happy everyone is in a cheery mood!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well being a retired OTR driver…….While it wasn’t a law or rule I did do it anytime I was going 15mph under the speed limit….Especially in poor visibility..
    It just seemed like a good idea…… wave

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Most people see those 4 way flashers and slow down. Mind you I run a tow truck. You are supposed to SLOOOW down AND move over if possible when flashing lights are on an emergency vehicle. 1 out of 20 follow that law. When working the roadway my head is on swivel looking for oncoming traffic. If coming down the road most pull out in front of me because they don’t want to be behind the SLOW tow truck. I’m doing 55 and they take a mile of roadway to get up to speed. flame I have had to slow down to 5 mph because of this and people wonder why I honk the horn at them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You know Bucky, it’s not hard to see your a judgemental person. If IDO is full of such crap threads exactly why are you here?

If you don’t like it, don’t comment. Pretty simple. No need to bash every single person who post on a thread you feel is inferior to your standards.
    wave wave wave wave

Woooooooooooo, easy sir.

I really didn’t envision 2+ pages related to driving with hazards on. When I first saw the post, I assumed it’d be something that made its way to the bottom in a hurry.

I wasn’t bashing people or intending to (more joking than anything). I’m pretty laid back and the furthest thing from judgemental. Sorry if I hurt someone’s feelings?

jon_wbl

When I was working 3rd shift in St Paul I would always see the same mini-van on 35E. It would always be 9-9:30pm and if there was a cloud in the sky or a damp road they had the 4 ways on and doing maybe 40 mph. They were the hazard

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pool2fool wrote:</div>

Or don’t tow the trailer and put other people in danger because YOUR lights aren’t working correctly.

Next time I’ll leave the boat illegally parked overnight. I’ll jusy cross my fingers that it’s still there when I come back with tools and parts the next day.

I never said it was an ideal scenario but it also wasn’t the end of the world — or the most dangerous decision any of us have made.

queenswake
    NULL

I saw this all the time when I lived in DC. I think it’s common in areas where people are not used to driving in the snow.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Stop triggering people bucky

Dave maze
    Isanti

I carry extra trailer light parts and tools just in case. (mostly because I smash them loading the boat a few times a year doah )

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I have done it a few times in my lifetime. If the visibility is extremely poor, extreme fog, or there is a hazard ahead of me that I can see but the car going fast behind me cannot see and I’m afraid they will approach me quicker than they realize they should (such as extreme white out conditions, can’t see any lines on the road, and there’s an accident ahead of you), then I turn them on just so there’s more light out there to alert somebody that “Hey, I am here.”

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

The troubles of modern day. We have gun control then there is driving with hazards on and to round it off service animal fakes that now has the attention of our state legislators. chased

Well this is a welcome break from…….

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Stop triggering people bucky

Sorry…

Attachments:
    1. triggered-people-triggered.jpg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>pool2fool wrote:</div>
    were groovy.

Totally cool man!

sometimes the hippy in me just shines thru, I can’t help it. If there was a smoking emoji thing I’d use it but…

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

We were driving to Lutsen Sunday Feb 18 when we got that crazy snow. Once we passed Duluth it was whiteout conditions with 12″ of snow on the single lane road (61) and no plows in sight. It was also the conditions where the complete backend of cars got caked in snow. Took over 6hrs to get there.

I’ve never used flashers before, but on that day you couldnt see anyone coming towards you or in front of you unless they had flashers on.

bigfish2

Remember when turning headlights on during the day was frowned on? But I was always told and learned that hazard lights was for emergency use and parking lights were for use when parked. I also taught or tried to teach my kids that it was not how fast you got their, but getting their safely. If conditions are pooor, then driving slow and being control is safe. I have been passed many times going slow and then short time later said vehicle is in the ditch.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Ask a trooper how many accidents are caused by people driving to slow versus to fast.Sometimes slow and steady will get you there alive. I deal with truckers all day long and the old timers will tell you not to get excited ,it does not pay.

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.