Drilling thru Glass.

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I need to drill a hole in a glass bottle. Is there a specific bit for that?
    Any tips would be great!

castle-rock-clown

Although I’ve never seen them, a blunt rounded bit with diamond dust fused to it?

Ah, what are you building? Have you been vacationing in Colorado?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Run out to Menards. They have them in the hardware area near where the drill bits and Dremel stuff is found. Not too spendy. Don’t force when you are drilling!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Although I’ve never seen them, a blunt rounded bit with diamond dust fused to it?

Ah, what are you building? Have you been vacationing in Colorado?

smirk

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Seriously, though. What are you doing?

A bottle opener seems way easier! doah

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Seriously, though. What are you doing?

A bottle opener seems way easier! doah

It’s a lamp project for my daughter.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Not as exciting as I was hoping for!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Not as exciting as I was hoping for!

Maybe the bottle will explode when I drill it and a shard will land in my eye. bawling

dbright
    Cambridge

How large of a hole? You can use a tile and glass spade bit if it is a smaller hole. I have 3/8″ and smaller but they might have larger ones. The cheap Vermont ones they sell at menards actually hold up fairly well.

Attachments:
    1. images.jpeg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Don’t lean on it or force it. When my mirror and glass guys do them on site, they mist it with water and very slow/easy. Haven’t had too many shower doors explode

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Don’t lean on it or force it. When my mirror and glass guys do them on site, they mist it with water and very slow/easy. Haven’t had too many shower doors explode

I wondered about using water, figured it couldn’t hurt.

castle-rock-clown

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

I wondered about using water, figured it couldn’t hurt.

Just don’t drink the **** water when you’re done. shock

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

When I was younger I built a few “art projects”. A stone grinding tool in a dremel works.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

When I was younger I built a few “art projects”. A stone grinding tool in a dremel works.

You guys are killing me!! rotflol rotflol
    I suppose a toilet paper tube would be easier to drill a hole in.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chamberschamps wrote:</div>

You guys are killing me!! rotflol rotflol
    I suppose a toilet paper tube would be easier to drill a hole in.

Seriously whether it is in a dremel or a drill, I think it is still your best option for a home project.

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

This is what I use, make sure you run water on it.

Attachments:
    1. 20150107_175506.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Sorry, I was referring to a stone grind point whether it is in a dremel or drill, go slow and caution and common sense is your friend.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

As always this site is my go to resource for , well, everything!

I did get a Dremmel 4200 and a 180 piece attatchment kit for Christmas. I’ll practice on a couple beer bottles before starting on the project.

On a side note, that Dremmel is a pretty slick tool!

r55945

I’ve done this before. Use a cordless drill & diamond dust bit. Submerge the bottle in a bucket of water. Go slow, the water keeps the glass cool.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

On a side note, that Dremmel is a pretty slick tool!

What can’t you do with a Dremel? I use mine all the time. Slick as snot for trimming dog nails!

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Sounds like a fun project. If you break the first few don’t worry, good excuse to drink more to provide the bottle!

Where gloves and safety glasses!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Sounds like a fun project. If you break the first few don’t worry, good excuse to drink more to provide the bottle!

Where gloves and safety glasses!!

It’s always fun putzing around with the kids. For a couple girls in their mid twenties they’re pretty capable with power tools.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

My cousin has been doing it for years with bottles and glass block. His wife stuffs them with xmas lights and other junk. He calls it her therapy and cheaper than seeing a shrink…. But he uses the cheap bits on a Dewalt Hammer drill and often does it under water in the sink. Go slow and don’t press too hard. Never really paid alot of attention but I’ve seen him do it numerous times. Like it was said if you break a few no big deal.

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

If using the spade bit, I like to start out with a smaller size first, before jumping up to the size needed. Keep water on it as you drill. Do not use hammer mode on hammer drill. Do not force it through, it will break the glass, keep light pressure and when close to going through, ease up on the pressure A LOT. Do not run the drill speed on high, I like to run on slow setting and keep a steady medium speed.

Depending on the size hole you need, it might be better to go with a diamond hole saw. Hitachi has decent ones that work great when I do holes in shower doors.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I did this a long time ago.
    There used to be kits that had all the light hardware and the drill bit.
    Like they said above go slow and don’t let the glass get hot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.