Don’t forget to keep track of your carry permit renewal

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I did. Noticed yesterday it was two weeks past. Oops. Took online test immediately and shooting to qualify today. Visit the sheriff tomorrow.

Tony Hanson

Or you could be like me and take the renewal class but forget to go to the sheriff’s office before the permit was expired, so I had to pay extra for the renewal

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just checked mine yesterday.
    I need to get a class of 10 or more together for the spring of 2025.

CaptainMusky

Just talked to someone today that got pulled over the other day only to find out their drivers license was expired for 2 years so keep an eye out for that too. She had no idea, didnt get a ticket, but had to take the online test again LOL

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Turned in my application at the Stearns County sheriff’s office on 1/16 still waiting for the permit to arrive. Just called them to check on it. They said it was processed and approved on the 25th. Said I should receive it soon. My prior one is still valid till 2/4. Hope it arrives soon.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I did. Noticed yesterday it was two weeks past. Oops. Took online test immediately and shooting to qualify today. Visit the sheriff tomorrow.

How does that work when doing the course online? when you do the qualifying shoot who signs off or approves that? I thought about doing my renewal online but decided to just do a class room instead.

CaptainMusky

Question, do you guys carry like all the time you are out or just periodically? I am just curious. I dont have one, but have thought about getting one.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

How does that work when doing the course online? when you do the qualifying shoot who signs off or approves that? I thought about doing my renewal online but decided to just do a class room instead.

You meet with a qualified instructor. Typically the one who puts on the online course.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Question, do you guys carry like all the time you are out or just periodically? I am just curious. I dont have one, but have thought about getting one.

Everyday all day. Even had mine on when I did your gutters

CaptainMusky

Everyday all day. Even had mine on when I did your gutters

Im pretty sketchy so I am glad you did! LOL

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I carry most days, depends on what I’m doing or where I’m going. Once at work it goes in a drawer in my office, I worry about customers seeing it and having a Karen have an issue with it.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I don’t carry all the time, but there are certain places where I feel like its a good idea. The one place I fear the most and what lead me to decide to get mine was Movie theaters. I had a bad dream about being in one and a shooter started shooting. I stopped going to movies until I got my Permit. I still don’t go to a lot of movies, but have a few times in the last year. I’m starting to find myself carrying more often these days.

picklerick
    Central WI

I can’t renew mine until the end of April. Plenty of time yet for me to forget again. Probably should put a reminder in my phone. It’s all done online here in WI.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I paid the fee and took the online test Mon. Mn Firearms in Anoka. Tue after work I drove to their store in Anoka and fired 30 rounds at a point blank target then left with my cert. Took that to the Sherrif today and applied for renewal. Unfortunately I am now unarmed until my card arrives. My fault. I have been through several cycles and always had my new card before the last one expired. Pants on, gun on.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Unfortunately I am now unarmed until my card arrives

Hope their process and Mailing time is quicker there than here in Stearns County. Dropped mine off 15 days ago. They said they have up to 30 days to mail the permit of a denial letter.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

If you don’t have a permit to carry, you need to follow other transport laws. (And these laws vary all over the state) Like you need to have the gun unloaded and ammo stored in a separate location. You need to have the gun cased and unloaded pretty much any time you are not at home. Permit to carry you can have as many loaded handguns as you want on your person or laying on the floor of your car.

Also, passing the background check every 5 years kinda confirms some d-bag has not stolen your identity.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Turned in my application at the Stearns County sheriff’s office on 1/16 still waiting for the permit to arrive.

By law 30 days. In Ramsey county, you will get it in the mail on day 28-29 ! Also remember you need an appointment to drop off the application now. Can’t just walk in anymore.

-J.

CaptainMusky

My buddy in TX owns his own business, a fabricating shop, and one night the alarm went off so he raced over there to find some drugged out dude broke in. He held him at gunpoint until the cops got there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Permit to carry you can have as many loaded handguns as you want on your person or laying on the floor of your car.

While legal, perhaps promoting leaving loaded weapons sitting out for all to see in your car is not the smartest idea. Unless you want someone walking by seeing them which is a big white flag for “steal me.”

All of us should be practicing safe firearm storage, whether or not we have a carry permit. I certainly would never just leave “as many loaded handguns” laying around on the floor of my car as I want just because I hold a carry permit.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My permit was in my mail box when I got home yesterday. I didn’t make an appointment to crop mine off. I just walked into the sheriff’s office and dropped it off. Maybe each county may have a different requirement.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>
    Permit to carry you can have as many loaded handguns as you want on your person or laying on the floor of your car.

While legal, perhaps promoting leaving loaded weapons sitting out for all to see in your car is not the smartest idea. Unless you want someone walking by seeing them which is a big white flag for “steal me.”

All of us should be practicing safe firearm storage, whether or not we have a carry permit. I certainly would never just leave “as many loaded handguns” laying around on the floor of my car as I want just because I hold a carry permit.

I think Jon’s point was you have a lot of leeway once you have a carry permit.
    Transporting firearms goes from a detailed procedure to whatever you want.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yes, I agree, but he certainly should have worded it better than he did. Communicating “to have as many loaded handguns as you want laying on the floor of your car” is a bad way to operate regardless, to quote him directly.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

“to have as many loaded handguns as you want laying on the floor of your car”

He might need all those if he runs into a large heard of feral cats whistling

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Yes, this is correct. You would not be violating any laws if you have a permit to carry.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Maybe each county may have a different requirement.

This is required in Ramsey County. And I believe also for Hennipen county.

I mention this because you need to get the timing right. You may have all the testing and paperwork lined up only to find out you need to wait two more weeks to drop off at the sheriff office. That may put you past your expiration date.

This started during Covid. So maybe this will go away at some point in the future.

-J.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Another good one to keep track of is if you move, you can’t forget to update your address.

And yes, I carry every day all the time unless there is a particular reason I can’t (properly posted hospital for instance). I burned through a few pistol/holster combos to find one that I was comfortable carrying all the time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Washington County. 8 days. I’m impressed.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Another good one to keep track of is if you move, you can’t forget to update your address.

I think it’s maybe 30 days? You’re absolutely right, as I’ve seen that stipulation as one that either gets forgotten often or someone never realized it was a requirement in the first place. In fact I recently mentioned it to someone and they said they never changed their carry permit to reflect their move. I asked them when they moved, and they said 2 years ago doah

Stanley

I forgot about mine and it expired. Fortunately my wife’s is still valid and we can keep a loaded gun in the house and I can still buy guns that need the permit since we are married and live in the same house. At least that’s what scheels said when I bought a 22 pistol with my expired permit and my wife was with.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I can’t renew mine until the end of April. Plenty of time yet for me to forget again. Probably should put a reminder in my phone. It’s all done online here in WI.

Wisconsin has always sent me a notice by mail pay and send it back or online.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.