ACL Injuries possible cause?

• Castaway
    Otsego,MN

At least that dump has a nice view and a hot tub Better hope it doesnt sell before you get there

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Strictly a rental

big_g
    Isle, MN

Your not gonna like that at all…

Nice place

big G

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tough it out big guy!

The only thing better would be to fish cats from the hot tub!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I dont know… I think I would have to put some fish in that hot tub, I dont see anything besides hills in the background?

Im a fisherman, not a mountain goat. I am not sure what I would do?

Looks like an awesome place Paul!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

i have a feeling there is a mountain stream somewhere near there.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey it’s Christmas there!! Hope you find a present under the tree for you.

lowblazah
    MN

what will you be fishing for?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

what will you be fishing for?

I’m fishing for Cat’s at Lake Douglas. And there are lots of streams with trout in them so I’m going to give that a whirl too. I told my dad he needs to bring a video camera along too when I trout fish being I want to try my hand a a fly rod there too which should be good for a laugh.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

Reading the posts on this site, and many others. It seems ACL injuries are happening more often these days in bird dogs. There could be many reasons for this. I only want to go into one so will leave the others alone.

Years ago I was doing some research on dew claws. Almost all hunting breeds have them removed. Except for the hounds. Hounds also seem to have the lowest number of ACL injuries. In fact I have never heard of one.

The info that I found said that the dew claw aids in traction and turning. There is some debate on if they are needed or not. Since on some dogs they never touch the ground.

I have to wonder if the dew claws were left on in active hunting dogs. If there would be less injury to the dogs without. I have never removed the dew claws from any dog that I have owned. Not sure how many that is, but has to be close to 100 or more. In all those dogs I have only had one that had any problems as a result of it. That was this past winter when one of my dogs tore hers out running on crusty snow.

May be something to thing about.

gundoginga
    Delano, MN

Makes sense…my dog still has her dew claws..interesting topic

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Hmmm…. interesting theory. Thanks for sharing.

steve_white
    St Germain, WI

It does make one think. Never seen a wolf, coyote, or fox without them. Only domestic dogs.

That I mentioned that tore them out was only about 18 months old. Ripped clean off. So maybe the bone never formed. The holes healed right up, and really no bleeding. Most likely due to the cold.

fish509
    St. Michael

Just got home from the vet a while ago, suspected ACL on my English Setter and he has his dew claws. I’d be curious to hear more research.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.