pickikng out a puppy

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

BD,

Last year I took the studs out of my stabilicers which I liked but they kept falling off at bad times. The studs are basically sheet metal screws with sharpened edges. I then drilled them into the lugs of my boots and I will never go back to anything else. make sure if you do this to get the shortest studs and that your lugs are deep enough to not compromise the boot soles. I have tried everything and found them wanting in some way or another.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Slip on cheapies for me. They work, they’re cheap, and if I lose em (which I do a lot) so what!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I use the cheaper rubber ones. I don’t remember the name. They are the largest size and they barely fit over my boot, so I have to heat them up and stretch them over. The studs grab very good, but they fall off a lot. I know Rocky made a boot with fold out studs built in.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Rubber cheapies for me as well. I always seem to have an extra pair in the bag just in case one breaks, but as long as I have one on, I feel pretty comfortable walking on glare ice. The best part is the low profile of the studs. You can forget that you even have them on, which I don’t think would be the case with some of the other manufacturer’s studs out there.

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

The rubber cheapies work good but they are a pain in the to get over my Ice Kings. I’ve been checking around and will pick up another style to try this year.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I bought a pair of the HT studded soles last year on clearance from Walmart, and your right about the velcro, but my wife has strips of the same velcro and is going to sew themon for extensions.

Ed

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The cheapies are in my pail as well. The only thing I do not care for with them is when the metal cleats freeze to the ice if I stay in one spot too long.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Check these out. I do not have em yet….but…. I have a pair of the cheapie, big black rubber band, that goes around the top of the boot, and hooks on the other side of the cleat. They have worked well, but there has to be something better…

IceSpiders

birddog
    Mn.

Those look like a good option. I’m going to see what’s at the show tomorrow, if nothing looks decent I may order a set of the mini’s! Good link.

BIRDDOG

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

Quote:

BD,

Last year I took the studs out of my stabilicers which I liked but they kept falling off at bad times. The studs are basically sheet metal screws with sharpened edges. I then drilled them into the lugs of my boots and I will never go back to anything else. make sure if you do this to get the shortest studs and that your lugs are deep enough to not compromise the boot soles. I have tried everything and found them wanting in some way or another.

I did the exact thing a few years ago, and have never looked back.

jld
    Holmen

Rubber as well. Easy and cheap. Keep a spare pair in the shack. They do make a fair amount of noise though.

bigpike

I am with big G, I heard that the ice spiders are the very last set of creepers you will buy. A little spendy but hopefully soon I will have a pair in the arsonal

shaley
    Milford IA

The FW and I prefer the Stabil Icers, trick is getting the right size. I had always used the cheapie rubber one in the past and seemed to always loose or break them at the worst possible time and they still were slick on bare ice where as the Stabil Icers to us are far more stabil.

bigpike

Ice spiders purchased today- $65 on the web, $35 at the show. My bud Cary was nice enough to purcahse them in my stead!!!!

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Slip on cheapies for me. They work, they’re cheap, and if I lose em (which I do a lot) so what!

This basically explaines it all what i us is strap overs and they work jsut great.

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Ice spiders purchased today- $65 on the web, $35 at the show. My bud Cary was nice enough to purcahse them in my stead!!!!

Where in the heck were they hiding?? I walked that show 3 times over, never saw them.

So…I bought another pair of the cheapies… HT SUPER SIZE slip on. Never even knew they made “super size”. These slipped right over my boots, much better fit than the xlarge I’d been wearing off and on over the years. The rubber should hold up as they aren’t stretched to the max.

BIRDDOG

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

I like the yaktrax pro

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Hey all!
    I will be going to pick out my new pup on the 16th (black lab female). I plan to hunt her, mostly upland game (pheasants)and would like some pointers on how pick the best one out of the litter (I have 6 to choose from) I have done pretty well with my last two but i think that was just dumb luck. Do any of you have any methods you use when picking a pup?

Thanks!
    Labman

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

find a litter/breeding you like, which you have. so, the next step is to go in the yard with the puppies, sit down, close your eyes….and choose… its pretty tough to tell what a dog is going to be like at 8 weeks old. my pup i have now was pretty timid when young, and now he is a firebreathing maniac…

just pick the one that calls you to it. no real way to tell how they are going to do performance wise. so, pick the one with the most personality.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

find a litter/breeding you like, which you have. so, the next step is to go in the yard with the puppies, sit down, close your eyes….and choose… its pretty tough to tell what a dog is going to be like at 8 weeks old. my pup i have now was pretty timid when young, and now he is a firebreathing maniac…

just pick the one that calls you to it. no real way to tell how they are going to do performance wise. so, pick the one with the most personality.

I could not agree more
    The old wives tale that my family has lived by, and I guess it has worked , is:
    When playing with the litter, take time to roll each pup over on their back. Once on their back, place your hand over the their chest and gently hold them to the ground on their back.
    The pup that tolerates this for the longest peiod of time is the most trainable pup
    Ya, I know
    Stick to what he said.
    But I must say, each of our family dogs has not only been a hunter, but a well trained family dog as well!
    Good luck
    cheers

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I like to watch them interact with each other and observe their personalities. When I picked mine out he was the 2nd largest of the group. However, he would battle 2-3 other pups at once to get a small throwing dummy away from them. He would drag 2 other pups at once and would not give up until he was the only pup with it. He also seemed to be the one that would come when called and I was a sucker for thos Puppy Dog eyes he gave me.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

When I bought my brittnay I used the first one away from the litter is the best. The breeder of the dogs took them out of the kennel and put them in a group then started walking. He had two follow him right away and I choose the one who was right on his heels. She had one heck of a good nose and earlier in the conversation they told me that some of the previous dogs owners had called them and they said all thier dogs were good so I think when it all comes down to it, its the bloodline. Choose a good bloodline and the odds are better. I think when it comes to a dogs performance hunt them as much as possible to keep thier nose warm and they will only get better, a good dog is a good partner.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks guys. I am soooo fired up to get this pup I can’t stand it! The line is a good one so I am confident in that sense. I have heard guys that go with the most aggresive one, the most attentive one, the largest one, the smallest one, just about every conceivable trick you can think of! I guess I will just “know” when I see “the one”!

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I really like how you all choose your dogs. Lip I can definatly tell you wanted a “ruff” and tumble buddy. The way I have chosen my hunting pals in the past has worked for me. I go with the runt. The runt always seems to be timid at first, but after a few days at home everything seems to come to them quickly. Poty traing on the last three dogs has taken about a week for each of them, crate training has been one or two days, and every time I have hunted with friends who are running dogs, mine always seem to listen better. Not to put my buds down, but even my 1yo Sadie will respond to hand signals and voice commands when there are other dogs around while my friends are more interested in sniffing bottom. It may be just hapenstance or that I spend lots of time with my dogs, but it has worked for me.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

It’s all in the bloodlines. If they have good bloodlines then everything is in your hands from there.

My yellow female had a litter last spring. This picture still cracks me up.

You go first, no you, no you…

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i had it easy with the pup i have now. i wanted a black male out of the litter…and there was only one black male born, problem solved…

phillips3475

Normally you want to stay away from the little winers that sit by themselfs. Also the big ole boy might turn out to be a knothead. Throw a bird out in the pile of pups and watch their reaction. Who likes birds and who couldn’t care less. The ones that aren’t afraid and might even pick it up are the ones you want.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks for all the info guys. Went to pick her out this morning and it was easier than I had expected. We had them all out and running around. We eliminated the “runt” right away. Not because she was the runt, but because she was not real enthusiatic about being out. The others were all pretty playfull and very alert. The one we ended up picking was by far the most inquisitive and adventurous! Her nose was to the ground almost the entire time just taking in all those new scents. She even pointed! (at least thats what the last picture looks like ) We pick her up on the 29th and then the real work begins! I am sure I will be back often with training questions!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

He does look like a good dog, nice choice! Im pretty sure hes instinctively pointing too.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Nice looking pup labman congrats!!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.