buying a dog

• safeatsecond
    Rochester, MN

I am probably 3 years away from buying a dog but thought I would ask. I would use the dog for pheasant and perhaps ducks. My question is first, is the Lab the best hands down? second, Where can I get a good one at a good price. A good lineage is desired but I do not want to overspend. Any suggestions? I live in SE Mn (Rochester) and I drive to PA once a year…traveling for a pickup wouldn’t be horrible.

brianthompson33

Hi Mike,
    Obviously I am biased to labs as you can tell from my user name. For a dog for both upland and waterfowl it would be hard to argue the lab is the perfect choice. There are other upland dogs that may be more suitable just for pheasant and or grouse such as a hard working springer, or german wire hair as well as many others. Likewise most would agree it is hard to beat a chesapeake for waterfowl, but a lab is in my opinion, the most versatile and a wonderful companion dog. I got my lab from a kid out in granite falls for $100.00 with papers and I wouldnt sell him for 100 times that amount he is perfect for me and I pheasant hunt and duck hunt. I wouldn’t set a time parameter to get your dog rather than just watch the want adds and also check your local humane society and the internet. Often times you will come across breeders with a pup left or a family who decided a dog doesnt fit their lifestyle etc. Just check the pedigree and if possible check to see if they have a retrieving tendency, they get it early. Take your time and good luck and even though I am partial to labs, there are alot of great breeds out there. Good luck and do your homework. BLACKDAWG1

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I dont think the lab is the perfect choice, not a bad one but what fits one man doesnt necesarly fit the other.

There are pleanty of good breeds that will be a good combo dog (pheasants and ducks). I have a cheasepeke and she is awsome at pheasants and can hunt ducks with the best of them. I dont really duck hunt much any more but thats what I used to do more of. I thought the same that a lab would be best but that turned out not to be true.

My opinion what do you like???? Dont get what others think you what, get what you want. You could go with a golden retriever they will do both, german wire hair, lab, chesepeke, weimerriner(SP?), noviscocia duck dog. Many more just look for a good blood line and make sure the parents are hunters not show dogs and you’ll be fine. There really is no perfect dog obviosly if you are planning on mostly duck hunting with a pheasant trip once a year a short hair wouldnt be your best choice. Just use good judgment and get what fits you lifestyle.

safeatsecond
    Rochester, MN

thanks for the help. I will continue to examine which dog to choose over time. I have never pheasant hunted or duck hunted to be honest. Duck hunting seems to be an awful lot of work but I think it would be enjoyable. Pheasant hunting would be fun but I think it would be hard to pull me out of a deer stand. It may be that I use this dog for a companion more than anything. I have a lot to think about but I do have time as it just would not make sense for me to own a dog for another 3 years or so. thanks for the advice !!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

I have never pheasant hunted

Mike I can fix that, we will have to talk on Tue

Quote:

Pheasant hunting would be fun but I think it would be hard to pull me out of a deer stand.

I can defiantly relate to that.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

There is not a breed that is perfect for everyone. I am one of the few guys in this world that do not like labs. It tears me up when there are genetic problems with them caused by poor breeders. If you do choose a lab, PLEASE do your homework. There are some great labs out there, but also some horible breeders that allow bad traits to be breed.

Do your homework, not only on hunting traits, but also about personality of breeds, size, shedding, excercising, feed, etc. It is very hard to get an honest opinion from anyone since their breed of dog is the best

Do check blood lines, watch the parents hunt, check the papers, talk with others who bought dogs from the breeder as well as brothers/sisters of the dog, and make sure the dog is the one for you.

You are making a 15 year commitment. Do not take it lightly. Good luck

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

I have a bit of advice that I cannot help but give you. A friend once gave the advice to me, and it has proven to be completely correct. The advice is this: do not price shop for a dog. You are going to end up making a huge emotional investment in a dog. You will want the dog to be healthy and emotionally stable. You will also want the dog to be friendly and teachable. You will want the dog to hunt. Breeding is a big part of assuring you that you will get these things from a pup. Part of it is still luck. In addtion to your emotional investment in a dog, there will be a financial investment. You will likely spend $6500 in dog food and $4500 in vet bills over the course of the dog’s life. There are still lots of other expenses. the point of it is that in the long run, saving $100 or even $500 on the initial purchase price of a pup really does not make any sense if you sacrifice the best chance at a healthy, happy companion and hunter.

safeatsecond
    Rochester, MN

Thanks John. I am not opposed to spending some money on a good line of dogs. I guess I just didn’t want my post to become a clasified add for breeders as much as anything. When the day comes, I am not opposed to spending a fair amount,,,,,,that said,two thousand is way too much in my opinion. In short, a fair market value is fine by me and I will absolutely remember your advice when the time comes. Thanks John and everybody else!

Don Hanson

You can spend more you can spend less but $600 to a grand will get you proven hunting parents- Certifications, vetcheck- first shots and a guarentee.

SDdreamin
    Delano, MN

If you are looking for solid, proven hunting labs, be sure to consider looking at breeders and ads in SD. I think you will find the prices are considerably lower, and many of the dogs actually get to hunt real birds, both waterfowl and upland alot more. Often times top of the line Labs will still only go for $250-$500. Since you are waiting a year or so, many of these places will even have you out to watch the dogs work if you request.

Don Hanson

I should of been a little more specific. When quoting the price, I was talking about getting a pup from handlers that hunt. So, check into dogs that come from hunters. My price average came from Guides in South Dakota.

safeatsecond
    Rochester, MN

look to the west I will do…if and when the time comes. Thanks a bunch guys!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.