Does Walmart ever clearance fishing gear?

• mrpike1973

I’m not a big fan of WM but do they ever have sales in the spring? I don’t get to one to often. I’m asking because every year I buy a few rod and reels rig them up and give them to kids in the neighborhood. It’s been fun getting to know them and I have taken quite a few on some fishing trips. I just pick a few up here and there but looking for some better deals then the junky spin casters.
    I’m always looking for clearance tackle I don’t give to much away enough to float fish etc. I only wished I had someone to take me fishing when I was kid so this is my way of doing it. I guess I should ask is there any other stores that may be a avenue to get some sale stuff. Thanks

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Yes…I used shop the clearance stuff at whallymart.

Ice Cap

I’m not a big fan of WM but do they ever have sales in the spring? I don’t get to one to often. I’m asking because every year I buy a few rod and reels rig them up and give them to kids in the neighborhood. It’s been fun getting to know them and I have taken quite a few on some fishing trips. I just pick a few up here and there but looking for some better deals then the junky spin casters.
    I’m always looking for clearance tackle I don’t give to much away enough to float fish etc. I only wished I had someone to take me fishing when I was kid so this is my way of doing it. I guess I should ask is there any other stores that may be a avenue to get some sale stuff. Thanks

First off a pat on the back and a shake of the hand to you for supplying kids with free fishing gear and taking them fishing. I try not to shop Wal Mart when I can avoid it but when I have to be there I will stroll the sporting goods section and they do clearance some stuff. But any sporting goods, fleet supply store anywhere that carries tackle will have deep discount clearance stuff especially during times like now when the seasons change.

Marine General up here blows a lot of his ice stuff out right now to move his summer stuff in. Much of it is unadvertised. However finding summer gear sales right now might be hard but closer to opener the sales will appear. Good luck and keep up the good work! waytogo

Deuces

I haven’t seen Walmart sales although I rarely go in there. When I do see stuff its in a bin that is all broken rods.

Ive had luck in the past getting your basket full, having the rods etc all up at the counter and asking to speak to the manager. Gander stores seem to have more flexibility at the individual store level to do what they want than those other big box stores. Be ready to pay full price, but ask if there is anything they might want to do to help. Usually its 10-20% off they take. Have some photos of the kids with the gear in the past, or tell a memorable moment from your past trips. People are good hearted when put in the right situation.

Also, awesome on you, keep it up! peace

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i wouldnt park in there parking lot much less go into that store. doah

with that being said………KUDO’s to you for doing a good deed for the kids!!!!!! waytogo waytogo yay

mrpike1973

Well thanks for the encouraging words all. Just looking for ways to get a few kids fishing.

Thought I would share this story:

This happened about 10 years ago
    Back then I shore fished a lot and went to a local lake early spring on a fishing pier. When I got there a young man roughly 12 or so was fishing. He was, to put it lightly upset and in tears. I asked what’s wrong? It was obvious the last foot of his rod was busted off. He said it broke and he knew he could not afford another one.
    He stated life was hard and nothing was going right. I went to my car grabbed a spinning combo and gave it to him. He seemed to be in shock I said no really keep it we fished a short while and he left.
    About a half hour later I saw a car pull up the young man was coming out with the rod and his mom.
    I thought to myself well this may not be good.
    The mom asked me if I gave him the rod I said yes I did a gift it’s his.
    She started tearing up and said she thought maybe he took it and said it was the nicest thing that ever happened to him we chatted a little and as time went by I would see him down there fishing we got along good and to the best of my knowledge he went to college.
    Did I change his life? maybe not maybe a little but I learned what giving was that day I will never forget that woman’s face of happiness. She said she was a single mom and really having a tough time. Whenever she sees me in town occasionally I get a hug and to put it bluntly I’m not a hugger but do make exceptions grin

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Yard and rummage sales, Bud. I picked up tons of nice rod/reel combos every year. I make certain they worked well then put new line on them and donated them at a local bait, tackle, and gun shop. Did this for years. Unfortunately the owner sold. I knew he’d give these units to less privileged kids along with some simple tackle and some bait so they could go with others.

SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Yeah WM has both rods/reels and tackle clearance specials. It’s not always in a bargain bin either, sometimes they just lower the price on the shelf. It’s not always cheapy stuff either, they carry some name brand items too.

Thanks for helping the kids out.

papaperch

My local wal mart had an unbelievable sale a few years back. A recently promoted young know it all put on a sale we all dream about.

Both guns and fishing gear. Gun prices were so good independent dealers flocked to the store. I got in about middle of sale. 79$-89 $ rods were going for 19.99 . All the way down to 4.99 to 9.99 for lesser value rods. I picked up an arm load of them.

Next year I asked an older guy in sporting goods. The big sale is going to go on this year like last. He laughed and said the guy that did that. Was fired the following business quarter.

tbruno

Just spent over 100.00 dollars at my local Walmart last night. Bought Custom jigs and spins Chekai tungsten jigs. Slender spoons, Northland forage minnows, Buckshot rattle spoons, and both Trilene fluorocarbon and mono line for just short of 1/2 off regular price. The same with their Beaver Dam Glass Noodle Rod Combos. A little early Christmas shopping for the Son-in-law who is just starting out ice fishing and for my 6 year old grandson. A couple of years ago got a $150.00 bass rod and reel for $30.00. Just need to be there at the right time as the stuff goes fast.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

First off, what you’re doing is awesome applause
    So now you got me thinking, I’m gonna clean up a couple old rigs that I have and find a local youth/church/school organization to donate them to.

catmando
    wis

If your ever by St Croix on Hwy 8 buy Co rd Y there is a flea market open every weekend, man has all kinds of reasonable rods and reels, I think they come from WM. That’s a good thing you do!

Dan
    Southeast MN

Cool as hell for all of you doing this!

jwellsy

Watch your local Craigslist.

Gordio

If I recall, Walmart doesn’t want anything on their shelf for a year. So last year’s stuff starts getting clearanced out. Lime everyone said though, you just have to watch for when that happens.

I hate that store with a passion, but when I’m forced to go in there, I check the clearance isle and the sporting goods section. I’ve definitely walked out of there with cheaply priced stuff that I wasnt going in there for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.