Dipsy diver question

• brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I’m looking into getting into fishing for salmon. I have fished for them a lot in Alaska using down riggers. I really don’t want to add down riggers to my boat so I thought I would use dipsy divers. I was wondering if anyone has used just a plane ram mount rod holder with dipsy divers. Would it be strong enough or would they break and then I would lose my rods. Any one with some actual experience with this type of set up. I do have rails on my boat I could add a different rod holder also. Thanks for the info.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have use folbe not ram but would prefer my traxtec tubes over ram or folbe. As for not putting riggers on you will be missing out on a lot of fish. a hand crank is not very expensive and well worth it. I still use dipseys so I can run lines off to the side and down. add traxtec rails for easy mounting and removal of rigger. I wouldn’t use ram style with dipseys. Probably could but would trust it is a big king took a run.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve used Scotty rod holders with 12” metal extensions and can honestly say I’m very lucky to not lose a rig. It only takes 1 time to forget to set a drag and it’s gone.

I have traxstech now and would never use plastic rod holders on the Great Lakes for salmon and trout ever again. I’ve had 10# lake trout peel out over 100’ of line in 5 seconds.

I’ve owned ram holders and would say they wouldn’t be any better.

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

I didn’t want to put the holes in my boat when I would only be doing it a few weekends a year. I’m mainly looking for a really stout rod holder.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As after getting downriggers on my boat 1.5 years ago, my success on Superior has nearly doubled. They’re worth it in my opinion.

Here’s some pics from my old boat and new boat. I actually found some photos of me using ram holders. I know I liked the Scotty’s better.

Attachments:
    1. FC2960EE-B8A7-4F6D-AE32-BE41BC5846EF.jpeg

2. 68FC1438-0DA9-4789-9F70-C443AB7F8B88.jpeg

3. 8E443A9E-B325-4795-B36B-01D3FFC37B5A.jpeg

4. 03FF10C3-6B44-4090-8702-A997361BFC45.jpeg

5. F48196C6-0476-442B-B55B-DA68E959FF3A.jpeg

B-man

They will work, but as mentioned you want a loose drag (though you always want a loose drag running dipsys).

I ran dipsys out of Ram 2000 holders for a season without a problem. They worked fine until I made the upgrade to Traxstech metal holders and tracks the following season.

I ran a Paracord tether around the rod handle with a uni-knot and had the other end tied to a grab handle just in case one failed. Figured it was cheap insurance, though I never needed it.

B-man

Since you said you have extisting rails, I would highly suggest some of these for a cheap and easy add-on for your limited salmon fishing.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-Stainless-Clamp-On-Fishing-Rod-Holder-For-Rails-7-8-to-1-Rail-Mount-BM/111118313934?hash=item19df2ae9ce:g:QpUAAOSwH71XObeK

I have 8 of them on my boat for storage on the bow rail, but they would work great for you to run a pair of dipsys (have one set almost horizontal) and also for board lines (set more vertical).

They take about 20 seconds to install, and are just as easy to take off when not needed. You may or may not be able to have them vertical depending on how your rails are configured (height and distance from edge of gunwale)

I’ve also seen similar holders for sale that have the clamp lower on the holder (might work better for mounting more vertical on a walleye boat)

You’ll definitely want some leadcore or copper set-ups (with lots of backing) and some planer boards too.

My best advice is to drop the idea of salmon/trout fishing. It’s stupid addictive and gear intensive…..don’t say you weren’t warned.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180403-220616.png

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have 4 of these cheaper Burt’s from Amazon. I want to say I got them for around 30 when they were in stock. I typically set these to the back in between the riggers and rocket tubes to either run LC or the dipseys. I know they are not really made for this and more likely a better walleye LC holder but I have never had an issue. I keep the drags lose and haven’t had a problem even when we have snagged. I also don’t run mag dispeys. I think the all metal would be ideal, but these are priced right to keep in the boat for back if you decide to troll when walleye or need holders for 3ways. They also help keep the cost down when running 9 lines in WI.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180404-073649.png

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Here they are in action. Looked like I had LC with the tip that low to the water. For dipseys I run them a little higher depending on how straight the boat is going. Biggil did you run a crestliner before your Center Counsel? Did you have trouble with no splash guards in the back when you get in the bigger water? I like my set up for walleye, but the boat isn’t made for what I use it for!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20180404-074832.png

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ve personally seen a ram holder get ripped off the boat by a big king on a dipsey. Can you run them, sure, but the risk is there to lose your gear. The kings on Lake Michigan ran large last year, if you happen to run across a 30# fish, I wouldn’t want to trust it to a ram mount.

Not sure what kind of holes you think you need for downriggers, but you can either mount the downrigger mount to the gunnel, which leaves you with a 4″ X 4″ metal plate on your gunnel held by 4 screws, or a better option is to put track mounts on your boat and use a track mount on your rigger. Easy on, easy off. I would never be without my riggers when fishing lake michigan.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Every time I hear “I don’t want to drill holes in my boat” I wonder to myself why the boat was purchased in the first place. If you can not use the boat for what you need it for then why own it? A boat is not a financial investment, it is a recreational investment. If you can’t recreate in it….

As mentioned a rigger base is only 4 – 1/4″ or 5/16″ bolts. That are covered up by a low profile mounting base.

On superior I can safely say that my riggers out produce fish 10:1 compared to divers, maybe higher.
    Just trying to help you put more fish in the boat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.