Devils Lake Spearing

• orve4

Ive never been spearing out on Devils lake making my first trip March 5-7. Ive Duck hunted the lake but never fished it. We are renting spearing houses from Corey Longnecker. Anyone ever use him before? I know no live bait. What decoys worked the Best? What are some things we must bring?
    Thanks

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i love spearing. cant speak for devils lake, but on any lake my best/favorite decoys are……
    1) bear creek red and white.one that looks like a small pike.
    2) decoy that looks like a sucker
    3) decoy that looks like a perch!!!!

oh yea, bring beer!!!!!!!

Pannypopper

I recently speared on Devils in one of Longnecker’s houses. The visibility dropped significantly this past week he said so it was a little tough to see bottom in 9FOW, they thought the white bass were stirring it up causing it. Sat from 9-5 and saw 1 30″ or so. One of those deals where you shoulda been here yesterday…..I used red/white, orange/black, white/blue, green/yellow, northern crack teasers, etc. The only thing I didn’t try was dead bait to see if that would bring anything in. He had other houses that were getting quantity of fish but I requested quality over quantity. I know there are big fish roaming so I wont give up after the 1 try. Hopeful to get back out there again in the next month or so.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

The red and white,bearcreek is a good one,perch and firetiger patterns,bearcreek also makes a small northern one that they tear up really good,but any of those colors,in the pike,perch or sucker shape,no matter what the brand,plastic or hand carved,add a twister tail off the back fin sometimes helps.Finding clear water can be tough alot times.

usmarine0352

I saw a plastic (I think) lighted decoy….that was cool. Not sure if it would work though.

gimp

Don’t forget your spear!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

What are some things we must bring?

I save empty dried egg shells all year and sprinkle them down the hole where they settle on the bottom. The eggshells will improve visibility by providing contrast. I spear in Minnesota, so check the regs there in Dakota, before you do it.

orve4

Interesting thing Dave Egg shells and other things such as corn or beans or even egg shells are illegal or depends on the CO since chumming is illegal. It is a messed up rule but we were informed that at our spearing meeting.

disco bobber

I save empty dried egg shells all year and sprinkle them down the hole where they settle on the bottom. The eggshells will improve visibility by providing contrast. I spear in Minnesota, so check the regs there in Dakota, before you do it.

Definitely don’t do this in a rental house without permission. I can’t find it in the regs but I believe it is illegal in ND. Not 100 percent sure though.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Johnson wrote:</div>
    What are some things we must bring?

i do this to and it depends how clear the water is. i dont always use them. but like disco and Josh have said, its kinda unclear as to if this is legal.????? my brother ran into this on cutfoot years back. his group got checked by the wardens, the only that checked my brother asked about it but didnt say anything. the other one in his group got read the riot act but never ticketed. pretty sure the law or general rule is you cant throw anything in the lake thats not biodegradable.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

i do this to and it depends how clear the water is. i dont always use them. but like disco and Josh have said, its kinda unclear as to if this is legal.?????

In North Dakota or Minnesota?

Many of the older gents I visited with before starting on my own spearing, have been doing this in MN for years.
    A strict reading of the MN. regs would be interpreted as egg shells are illegal.

I would argue that egg shells are not “chum” as they do not “attract” fish.
    However, it would be hard to deny that eggshells are not a part of a chicken.
    I may have to rethink using them.
    Thanks for making me more aware.

Attachments:
    1. egg.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    i do this to and it depends how clear the water is. i dont always use them. but like disco and Josh have said, its kinda unclear as to if this is legal.?????

In North Dakota or Minnesota?

Many of the older gents I visited with before starting on my own spearing, have been doing this in MN for years.
    A strict reading of the MN. regs would be interpreted as egg shells are illegal.

I would argue that egg shells are not “chum” as they do not “attract” fish.
    However, it would be hard to deny that eggshells are not a part of a chicken.
    I may have to rethink using them.
    Thanks for making me more aware.

in minnesota……..and until i get told i cant i will continue to use them. its my understanding its legal to use potato skins….i would argue eggs shells are biodegradable! i throw them in the garden also!!!

orve4

Ended up not spearing. Was great fishing caught one giant 45 inch 27 pounds. An absolute trophy and fish of a life time. Caught many other nice fish 4-9 pounds.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Josh do you have a picture of that brute?

orve4

Was caught by my cousin

Attachments:
    1. 6C6FE0D3-E6E2-40D2-BE60-1A58DBB3B483.jpeg

orve4

One more

Attachments:
    1. 1260ED2F-B198-4921-8A74-C5AB3982D05D.jpeg

LabDaddy1

Look at that belly!!! Holy crap, what a HOG!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.