Devils lake newbie?????

• competitor
    South central, mn

Hey fellas,
    A buddy and I are heading to Devils Lake dec 28. Have never been and wanted to be safe first and have fun catching some fish. Any and all help is appreciated. We don’t need to keep a lot of fish, but want to catch some walleye and perch. Questions are: places to stay and use portables? Need to bring wheelers? Ice conditions? Lake access?
    Not wanting to steal anyone’s secrets, but any help with baits, places, and ideas will be very appreciated. PM if that works too.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Thanks,
    Riebs

Thomas Lee

Woodland Resort has bait and plowed roads, I’m not sure about the other public accesses. I would definitely recommend a fish house if you could still book one. Last year we got caught in a ice storm with brutal winds that morning. Good thing the winds died down and we were able to use our flip ups and pop ups.

competitor
    South central, mn

Thanks Thomas! I have always heard that about The wind at Devils. I am afraid we will be too late. I made a few calls and they are busy up there. We can always hope for a cancellation if the weather turns nasty.

gimp

Devils Lake has from 8 to 13 inches of ice so far. Check with Pete’s Bait shop where to go. No need to worry about plowed roads, we don’t have snow on the lake to speak of. there is no way of taking control of mother nature and the wind and snow.

competitor
    South central, mn

Gimp,
    Thanks much for the info. I am glad travel will be easier. We are still debating on bringing the wheeler or not. We will stop in to Petes to grab our baits and see if we can pick up any info. It will be fun to chat with the guys. I am excited to check out Devils Lake!

Appreciate the help,

Riebs

Mocha
    Park Rapids

For Lodging check out Lakeview Lodge. I have stayed there several times in the summer and they have nice accommodations and nice people. They also have a great fish cleaning building.

Also stop in and talk with the guys at Eds bait for current info. Have fun!

competitor
    South central, mn

Thanks Mocha!!

Looks like we may have to check out a couple baits shops. I will call lake view and see if they have any openings. I know it is late, but maybe they will have something.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the advice!

Riebs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.