First buck.

• thegun
    mn

My daughter got her first buck today.. She was very excited , and Dad had the best hunt of his life..
    True Trophy!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congrats on a great buck time spent with family is priceless

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

That’s awesome! Congrats to you guys

huntalot60
    wisconsin

Quote:

Congrats on a great buck time spent with family is priceless

X2

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Very nice! and good shooting too.

clarkj8

Congrats to both of you. cant beat hunting with family.

kentuckyboy
    Maple Grove, MN

Great job on an awesome buck.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Too cool! Congrats!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

The smile says it all.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Congrats to the both of you!! Great to see!

Eric

coppertop
    Central MN

Awesome pic! Congrats to both of u!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Awesome job! I had the pleasure last year of watching Olivia take her first buck. Hard to describe the level of satisfaction when we see our children’s success. Definitely a time to be proud and celebrate. Congrats to the young lady on a job well done!

thegun
    mn

Now that I have a little time Ill tell ya the story…

On sat. we took up shop on the end of a long narrow 12 acre corn field that had been picked and chisel plowed.. Just after first light I mad a few grunt calls and withing a few seconds a nice 8 point ran right in to within 50 yards and stops behind some brush.

Kayla taps me on the shoulder and says,, “Dad my heart is beating so hard I dont think I can shoot!”

After a few minuts the deer new something was wrong and turned and started to stomp its feet and walk away.. Kayla had to stand up to see over the brush and make a freehand shot..

After spending extra time looking for blood and showing her a good system for locating blood and telling her that it is our responsibility to make extra sure that the deer was uninjured before calling it a miss.

Sat evenings we sat up on the edge of a picked cornfield. After a long day making a few drives with the rest of our hunting party, When deer finally decided to come out for dinner Kayla was a little tired..

day 2 we elect to go sit on the ground half way down a wooded ridge that drops into a big triple valley. we didnt get on stand untill just after shooting time.. we no more than sat down and we heard a crunch from up the hill where we walked in at.. I turned and seen a huge 10 point buck with a 8″ drop. easily in the 170’s” class..

I tell Kayla to grab her gun and try and make a shot.. this deer was on a steady walk and walked straight in the woods heading downhill and walked withing 15 feet of us..
    This being the first time Kayla ever tried to get a shot on a moving target she was unable to get lined up on him and take a shot.. after the deer was well down the hill and I knew she was not going to be able to get a shot(was too late) I grab ed my gun stood up and took a shot as it dropped over the edge..

At this point I knew I didnt hit the deer and told Kayla that I missed but needed to walk down and make sure.. I explained to here that no matter what dont shoot at any deer in the direction I walk, But if one comes in from the other way to go ahead and take a shot if the deer got as close as a Big oak that was about 50 yards away!

I walk down and make a few circles to make sure no blood and then start back up towards Kayla.. I get about 80 yards from her and I can see she is standing taking aim up the Hill in the direction I told her she could shoot.. I stop walking and could see a small buck coming towards her threw the trees.. BOOM!! The deer jump and starts to run.. I grab my grunt call and make a few loud calls and stop the deer.. I look up at Kayla and she is just standing there looking at the deer.. after a few seconds she raise her hands at me and shrugs her shoulders.. all the while the deer is just standing there.. I yell RELOAD AND SHOOT! the deer starts to go so i grunt again and stop him.. Kayla has a 4-10 pump and when she ejects the spent casing she doesn’t lock the action forward and has to pull back again and gets two shells lodges in the receiver.. she yells down to me THE GUN IS JAMMED>> IT WONT SHOOT!! Finally after she tries and cant get the gun clear to shoot I decide We have nothing to loose I put my grunt call in my mouth and start walking up the hill towards Kayla making soft tending grunts as I walk..This puts the deer at ease and starts to walk in an intersecting path towards me and Kayla… I get to her and get her gun unjammed and at this point the deer is standing broadside at about 40 yards looking at us.. Kayla shoots again standing freestyle.. The deer jumps and takes off running so I start some loud grunts once again and stop him at about 70 yard down a steep hill.. This is a bit further than what I wanted her to shoot but the deer is again standing in the clear.. I help her move over to a small sapling and tell her to set her gun in a Y of a branch on the base of the tree. She Take a long careful aim and shoots… dropping the deer where it stands.. I cant explain to you how a father feels at this moment as your little girl is screaming ecstatically About getting her first buck..

You know we had a monster walk right passed us well withing bow range,, If I had been alone and hunting for me on this day I could of had a great buck… but I was hunting for her so I thought.. Ya I had a great buck walk by but Kayla got her first buck and it defiantly is the buck of my lifetime..

Good luck out there guys.. Be safe and take the kids.. Its so much more rewarding!

Corey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.