Deer Czar AWOL For WI Deer Season

• broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Terry, I purchased two P-series RPS661-ml and paired them with size 10 reels. Nicely balanced with a slightly heavy tip perfect for vertical jigging light line and jigs. Has a moderately fast tip for using low or no stretch lines with enough give to allow good control of the fish. Reel seats are cork covered Fujis. I prefer Fenwick HMG’s and am comfortable with these on trips where I expect accidents to happen (fishing with younger children). They are recommended by the North American Fishing Club where, as a member, I test new products for review and recommendation. Give them a try–they make great gifts if you decide that they don’t work for you.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What a joke, and another prime exaqmple of how the media puts a twist on everything….then the typical Dems Vs. Rep crap. This was already address and discussed at the interview/press conference, and also the interview on one of the outdoor shows. btw – HEAD COLLECTIONS, AGING, AND TISSUE SAMPLES WERE ALL BEING COLLECTED IN UNIT 71!

big_g
    Isle, MN

The Dr. does seem an odd pick for herd management. I think he is good at what he does, which is produce MONSTER RACKED deer. I don’t think his expertise is numbers management though, on anything outside a high fence. I doubt him being at a registration station would have done anything, other than PR is suppose

Yep, politics. Seen they(the state workers without collective bargaining rights) have over half the votes for a recall election, which does not guarantee getting him ousted

todders
    Shoreview, MN

You just can’t keep everybody happy all the time! Let him try something before you want to cut him already . I absolutely despise politicians and will never trust them

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Another thing I noticed that wasn’t mentioned in the media very much. He’s the top guy for this report, but not the only one. The study/reports will be a collaboration of multiple “independent experts”. Dr. Deer was very clear in his interview that he valued the judgement of the other panel members and will openly share their opinions and recommendations even if they are conflicting with his. I agree to let the team do their job and see what they offer. At this time, 125K investment into the positive future of our deer herd isn’t unreasonable.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

We will trade lou cornicelli for dr.deer any minute of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They say it would be nice if he was around to chat with hunter….. not sure if your humans are different in wosconny but over hear id say about 10% of hunters have valid opinions on how to rebuild our heard! Thus making it a waste of his deer season to get bitched at by barroom bioligests! I don’t know of many guys the love deer hunting that would say I will pass on this deer season as I have a job to get done but its not due till march…rite! Media blows!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m confused a bit by the article. What is the author calling for? Was Dr. Kroll suppose to be at every registration station in the state shaking hands and kissing babies? Because some of Dr. Kroll’s experience is related to pen raised deer that discounts his wealth of knowledge? This is a typical politically driven piece of trash filled with half truths and twisted facts.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

I’m confused a bit by the article. What is the author calling for? Was Dr. Kroll suppose to be at every registration station in the state shaking hands and kissing babies? Because some of Dr. Kroll’s experience is related to pen raised deer that discounts his wealth of knowledge? This is a typical politically driven piece of trash filled with half truths and twisted facts.

I couldn’t agree more Kooty. Give the guy a chance and let’s see what he comes up with.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Yep WI Dems are an unreasonable, interesting breed…

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Another thing I noticed that wasn’t mentioned in the media very much. He’s the top guy for this report, but not the only one. The study/reports will be a collaboration of multiple “independent experts”. Dr. Deer was very clear in his interview that he valued the judgement of the other panel members and will openly share their opinions and recommendations even if they are conflicting with his. I agree to let the team do their job and see what they offer. At this time, 125K investment into the positive future of our deer herd isn’t unreasonable.

Exactly!!! One dude is from Mississippi and the other is from Pennsylvania. The state of PA went through this 10 years ago or so and it was a huge political/social issue. I am really most interested in his take on all of this, as well as the other two.

RW, the show was Northland Adventures with Dave Carlson and the statement of our WI forest being in 83% ownership and being overly mature was a key statement in that 30 minute segment!!!

While managing at the Club, I was chosen to host a Ruffed Grouse Society fund raising banquet and they had their biologist there. He told of a similar story about no land disturbance… What does that mean…

Historically fire used to be the major disturbance that kept the checks and balances in place in the ecosystem. Of course we want no fires and most of the non-hunting populace wants to have pristine old growth forest. Clear-cutting has become one of man’s tools to create disturbance which is crucial to generate regrowth and provide better habitat for almost all wildlife.

Now, do I think that is our problem currently with our herd numbers, NOPE!!! But I certainly think it would help to have more… But its ugly, except to this and other grouse and deer hunters!!!

But I am still inclined to believe that there are enough deer on the landscape, just not enough good hunting going on and I am as suspect as many on these forums.

Since I have grown up, we have so many products on the market that make sitting all day an easy task. We have seen the advent of QDM. Baiting has become a tool of many hunters. We have allowed predators to become more prevalent on the landscape. CWD made the DNR nuts and in an effort to get rid of it, they have tried to kill off the deer herd in our southern units.

At any rate a couple of cents to chew on…

For those that would like to see the Kroll interview go to this website, down to videos and in three of the frames you can see Kroll in a white shirt with a vest. Northland Adventures

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Yep WI Dems are an unreasonable, interesting breed…

Unfortunately, it doesn’t make any difference whether they are Dems, Repubs or Tea partiers!!! Let science do the model!!!

Mark

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Agreed, however in that article it WAS the WI Dems calling for his job. The ONLY reason is to attack Gov Walker. Thats quite transparent. So I think in this case, while it shouldnt be, it is completely political.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

What a joke of an article… It failed to mention that before he hired him that Governor Walker knew Dr. James Kroll would not be participating in the 9 day WI gun season because he already had previous engagements and commitments.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.