Mr.Random (Harvest)

• bowhuntmn

How many times have you rolled around in your bed in the am, not wanting to get up, get dressed, and head into the cold morning? Well, I usually give in since mornings are my favorite time to hunt. It gets more and more difficult as the year wears on and gun hunters are blasting from sun up to sun down.
    This morning was not much different, but I just did not have much anticipation as I was hunting a stand where I have seen two deer (counting today) in the last two years. I have lots of pictures in this area of stud bucks, but never once during shooting hours. The area hardly gets pressured (300+ acres), so I have no idea why the deer are so nocturnal..but that is a topic for another day.
    I crawled into the stand late which is unusual for me, and on the way in I bumped some deer that were hanging out very near my stand. I trudged the rest of the way to the tree and climbed up. The wind began to swirl almost immediately as the shadows began to disappear and light appeared, adding to my low anticipation for today.
    I wish I could say that the next few minutes would create a more interesting story, but as it goes; it was interesting enough.
    I heard a deer coming off of my left, following the ravine right to me. At first, I spotted some antler but was unsure of size. I have passed countless deer this year in anticipation for next year, but this guy had all that I was looking for. Although I had never seen this deer before, nor had I any pictures of him, I was certain he was a shooter. He crept to within 20 yards, as I drew back he passed a tree and exposed his vitals. I made a great shot and he was hit hard! But there was bad news..he rolled right into a ravine about 60 yards deep and surrounded by boulders. I waited a half hour and followed the massive blood trail right to him. My fears were confirmed as there was no way to drag him, or use any kind of ATV to move him.
    My dad,a close friend, and I spent half the morning quartering him and caping him in the ravine before making a grueling hike out! He is a beautiful deer, and I am very fortunate to have made such a clean harvest. I feel even more fortunate to have my third shooter buck in three years! This hunting thing is getting expensive
    Pics are all from my phone, so nothing spectacular and as always- do not do him justice.
    I am also not crazy about measurements, but alas, he is a buck and that is why we shoot them.
    19″ inside,5.5″ bases, tallest tine was only 9.5 inches, good mass throughout. Rough net score was in the low 140’s.
    I am very excited to sleep in tomorrow and enjoy my half day that I took of off work!

lick

Nice buck Congrats !

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Congrats! Great Job!!!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Heck of a deer! Great story! Way to stick with it!

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Congrats! Very nice buck! If you happen to figure out the nocturnal problem let me know.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats on a beautiful deer!

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Thata boy…way to get it done with stick and string even in the heat of the shotgun season. Three shooter bucks the last three years, I think your starting to put something together Now, next time think about laying em down in a more convenient area for a drag out

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Good story and nice job getting it done ! Awesome buck!

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Great deer!

shednut
    22 feet up

That’s awesome Congrats on the dandy buck! Love the pack out pic, nothing sweeter than a rack swinging ontop of a pack full of meat

bowhuntmn

Thank you all! It has been a good year on my farms, quite a few sightings and we have two “wall hangers” down between 3 guys.
    For a couple hours, I felt like I was out west with the quartering and caping on site- along with the pack out!
    Good luck to everyone heading out in the upcoming weekends!

Tom Holden
    MN

That is a great buck. No reason to apologize for being a trophy hunter… looks like you’re getting good at it. Good job!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.