“Remorse/Guilt”

• bowhuntmn

Fellow IDO’ers,

As I was watching a 140″ 8 point walk out of bow range tonight, having let him pass, I began to think. Those who know me, know that its never good when I begin to think!

I sat there and thought about the roots of hunting, why I/we hunt, etc. I know for a fact that my ancestors didn’t get me here by passing on a deer due to its rack size. Why am I selective? Because I appreciate a well-balanced deer herd on my stomping grounds, I also appreciate watching deer in their natural habitat. I’ve shoot quite a few deer, and especially 130-140″ deer, for my age. I don’t shoot bucks anymore unless I plan to do a mount of sorts, whether that may be shoulder, table top, etc.

Is this the wrong thing of us to do? I shoot lots of doe, but very selective when it comes to bucks. I grew up as a meat hunter, but it seems to have switched to “trophy” hunting in recent years. The beauty of hunting is that you can do it any way that you want, within the law, and that you are able to harvest whatever appeals to you, again, within the law. But what makes us flip that switch from meat hunter to trophy hunter? I step into the woods with a different attitude each time, sometimes looking for meat, and sometimes looking for horn.

Anyway, I had some thoughts running through my mind after passing a beautiful buck tonight.

I have no remorse by the way, nor do I feel guilty about being selective- just looking for some thoughts on this.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

SHOOTER STAGE
    The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
    A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
    Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
    This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
    As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Quote:

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

Guilty on counts above!

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

good description. makes perfect sence to me Slop !!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Quote:

The beauty of hunting is that you can do it any way that you want, within the law, and that you are able to harvest whatever appeals to you, again, within the law.

I think this statement sum’s it up best. I don’t have a problem with trophy hunters at all – If that is what it is about to you, GREAT – I do have a problem with some who feel if that is what it’s about to them then thats what is best for EVERYONE. Keep getting out there and enjoying whatever it is that drives you to hunt!!!! Hopefully a bigger deer gives you a chance before the end of the season

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great topic guys. I couldn’t agree more with all that has been said.

As I sit and type, I wonder what stage I’m in when it comes to bow hunting deer?? Food for thought for sure.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Yup that pretty much sums it all up!

Slop I have read that before but do not remember where. Where did you get that from?

Quote:

SHOOTER STAGE
    The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to “get shooting.” Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE
    A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE
    Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE
    This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE
    As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he “mellows out.” Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

“The beauty of hunting is that you can do it any way that you want, within the law, and that you are able to harvest whatever appeals to you, again, within the law.”

Far too many people would disagree with that statement in my opinion. However I’m not one of them.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

SHOOTER STAGE

LIMITING OUT STAGE

TROPHY STAGE

METHOD STAGE

SPORTSMAN STAGE

I agree with that!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Great topic guys. I couldn’t agree more with all that has been said.

As I sit and type, I wonder what stage I’m in when it comes to bow hunting deer?? Food for thought for sure.

Thanks for posting that Slop Bass – that’s actually part of any MN DNR advanced hunter education clinic, like the one I do for turkeys every year. Each time we bring that up in the clinics, it spawns a very interesting discussion.

While it’s important to note that not all people go through the same stages, all of the stages, or even do them in order, it does tend to describe the mentality of a hunter throughout his/her various points in life.

The only problem I have with it personally, is that it can have people view the final stages as the better, more-mature, and the most ethical…..hence the term “sportsman” stage…..as if other reasons we all might have to hunt which don’t fit that definition are less than noble.

Which is why I really liked the statement regarding hunting meaning different things to different people. Within the law, enjoy it for what it brings to your life, no matter where you might classify yourself.

Joel

prieser
    Byron, MN

I was in a guys house quite a few years back and he showed me his trophy wall. It ranged from 40″ fork horns to 180″ monsters and if memory serves me correctly he had just as many “little” bucks as big and everything in between. I have always remembered what he told me about his wall. He was just as happy with the fork horn as he was the Big boys. He also said that some of them littler deer were way more of an adventure and/or rewarding deer because of the situations around that particular hunt. I guess point being, like that has been said numberous times on this site, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Fawns are good eating, Horns look great on the wall, doe management is very important. Regardless, it’s all very, very fun and exciting to pull the trigger or release an arrow. Don’t let anyone else’s expectations or believes consume why YOU are out there. Cool topic

bowhuntmn

Sparked some good discussion here! I knew I wasn’t alone on this subject.
    I’ve definitely ran through most of those stages, which began at a very young age. I vividly remember shooting my first deer at age 12 with a gun, and dad will attest to this, I turned around in the stand and asked him “This is it?”
    Needless to say, he bought me a bow for Christmas that year!
    One thing I will say though, I am a very, very meticulous person from workplace to the woods. I work with heart patients so not being thorough is not an option. This translates into the field, where I plan, plan, and plan some more. I knew about this buck, and was hoping not to cross paths with him quite frankly because he is a young, but very tempting buck. I also know that there are bigger ones around! Best of luck to everyone!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.