Anyone else have a crappy opener?

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Saw a doe and fawn on Sat. morning, a buck through the thick brush Sat afternoon that I couldn’t really get a good look at, and absolutely nothing on Sunday. Seems like I most people I talked to either saw very little, or saw and got a really big buck.

Probably the worst opener ever for me. Hunted dark to dark Saturday, and dark to dark Sunday with a 2 hour mid day break to go back and get different dry close and food.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Saw close to 20 Deer on Saturday, none of which were sporting head gear. On Sunday, I should have stayed in bed.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Really tuff!
    Seen two small deer Saturday and zilch Sunday. Suppose to get really cold this week, that ought to get the hunters and deer moving.
    Time to break out the sno-suit and sit it out near escape routes

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Over in Buffalo Co I have now managed to see 0000000 deer the last two year’s worth of opening weekends. I must be jinxed. We only killed one doe for 5 hunters. Not good!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Over in Buffalo Co I have now managed to see 0000000 deer the last two year’s worth of opening weekends. I must be jinxed. We only killed one doe for 5 hunters. Not good!

I hunt Buffalo Co too Rage, and we had the exact same take for 5 hunters!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Dan, we also had a horrible opener in Clark County. 4 hunters and zero deer killed. A doe at 7:30 on the opener and then another at 4:45 as I walked to the truck. That was it…saw 2 sets up eyes Sunday morning on my way to the stand as I made my way across the corn field…and they were 20 yards in front of me. I actually did a double take because you don’t expect to see deer that close in the morning. They eventually WALKED away as I continued to head towards my stand! Called it a day at 1:00 because of weather.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a crappy opener in MN too. Luckily I made it out the 3rd and final weekend and got my yearly venison. Very lucky since it was first one I got to shoot in 4 years. I was getting a complex not shooting my own veni year after year. You can only take so much donated from friends before you start feeling a little useless. Stick with it. Unless your a trophy hunter. Then your boat just got harder to row.

chippee
    sw wi

worst opening weekend ever for me, a fork buck less than a minute into legal shooting hours that my daughter and I decided to let walk and never saw another deer all day sat and half a day on sun, we quit around 11 on sun as dense fog settled in on us reducing visibility to about 50 yds. looking forwards to some later season hunting as temps are supposed to drop and wont be dealing with as many idiot neighbors

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I hunt in Dunn County and Pepin County – seen 24 deer on Sat and passed on 6 bucks (2 were 2.5 year olds). Seen 18 on Sun and passed on 4 more bucks. Seen 11 deer on Mon and passed on 3 of the same bucks. Where is that shooter?

jackhunter
    Eagan, MN

I saw six does and one button buck chasing all six of them through my crp field just after first light. After that not one deer through monday afternoon! My part got two bucks and many passed on several does. We usually have three to four bucks after opening day out of six hunters.
    times have changed?

-Jack

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

I hunt in Dunn County and Pepin County – seen 24 deer on Sat and passed on 6 bucks (2 were 2.5 year olds). Seen 18 on Sun and passed on 4 more bucks. Seen 11 deer on Mon and passed on 3 of the same bucks. Where is that shooter?

Sounds like a pretty good opener to me. At least entertaining. Get sick of watching squirrels.

How much land do you have to hunt? How much pressure and movement is around you?

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Amongst the two properties it’s only a couple hundred acres. Most of the deer seen were on one property where it’s a sanctuary for the deer (a lot of surrounding pressure) and we only hunt the fringes of it and we did not bow hunt it much either.

Phunnyfarm

Hunted in 214 and saw a doe and fawn on Sat. Doe and fawn on Sun. Went out weekend #2 and saw NOTHING saturday (sitting dark to dark), and saw a couple does Sunday AM.

Although after seeing one of the does, I heard a SNOOOOOOOOOOORT from the thick marsh to the west of me that dang near stopped my heart! Never got a look at him though. I’ve been dreaming about it ever since, and I’ll be back out Sat AM for Muzzy Opener!

One thing to note…even without seeing a lot of deer…it’s still the best time of the year, and I wouldn’t trade it in for a thing!

Good luck out there!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.